REFLECTOR: Glide Distance
Brooke Wolf
bwolf1 at tds.net
Thu Jun 21 09:33:19 CDT 2012
My belly hurts from laughing so much!! Too Funny! BTW, I was just thinking. It is apparent that the design people who figure out glide ratios are not PILOTS. They are slip stick carrying engineers. Now, I'm beginning to understand why you guys call yourselves NAVAL AVIATORS;)
Brooke
>
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance
> Date: June 21, 2012 8:52:29 AM EDT
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Cc: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>
> On Jun 21, 2012, at 7:25 AM, Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net> wrote:
>
>> Why did I see so many raggedy assed NAVY planes parked on our pristine AIR FORCE ramp Friday nights when the Officers Clubs were Rockin? ;>)
>
> Because their pilots knew they could easily kick some ass and then steal the lead-winged pilots women! :)
>
> Mark B. Magee
> N34XL
> BRADY TX
> Sent from iPhone From: Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance
> Date: June 21, 2012 8:25:08 AM EDT
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>
> aaaaah Mark! 12000 ft 300 ft wide runways, Officers Clubs, manicured golf courses, nice BOQ's. Why did I see so many raggedy assed NAVY planes parked on our pristine AIR FORCE ramp Friday nights when the Officers Clubs were Rockin? ;>) As far as glide ratios, lets see, Flight plan from NAVY Memphis to Augar Inn at Randolph AIR FORCE BASE….Altitude 35,000, time 1:10, distance 3,252,023 FEET.
>
> Brooke
>
>
>>
>>
>> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance
>> Date: June 21, 2012 7:40:19 AM EDT
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Cc: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>
>>
>> Brooke, All,
>> I was reviewing Glide Ratio and found this:
>>
>> http://www.csgnetwork.com/glideratiocalc.html
>>
>> Whoever these folks are they as well subscribe to THE NAVY WAY in calculating GLIDE RATIO, as I was brainwashed into in my youth.
>> I was just verifying the brainwashing wasn't losing it's effect in my old age. 15 to 1 GLIDE RATIO = 15 feet/meters/NM (units) forward and 1 foot/meter/NM down.
>> Brooke I'm not sure what the AIR FORCE brainwashes, but I never really understood you guys anyhow. None of the stuff you guys fly will land on a boat! Feeble landing gear. Incomprehensible to me! Why would you guys give up a perfectly good strip in the middle of the ocean of your choice worldwide? Maybe with that GLIDE RATIO you guys learned you figured you might make it to shore? (They lied to you!). We could land on all your strips. And only soil 1/8th of your perfectly manicured 12,000' runway! Thank you very much!
>> At least the Navy played it straight with us, and gave us a strip on a boat to keep us out of the drink. :)
>>
>>
>>
>> Mark B. Magee
>> N34XL XLFG
>> Sent from IPhone 4
>>
>> On Jun 19, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> I can't wait to meet you. We got some talkin to do!
>>>
>>> Brooke, USAF
>>>
>>>>
>>>> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
>>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance
>>>> Date: June 19, 2012 11:16:03 PM EDT
>>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> Cc: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi Brooke,
>>>> Unfortunately or fortunately I learned some things The Navy way (there is: The Right Way, The Wrong Way And The NAVY WAY). I was trained glide ratio is first number is horizontal and second vertical and in the same units. 15 to 1: 15 ft or NM forward for each 1 ft or NM down.
>>>> Is that not the std used by all?
>>>>
>>>> Mark B. Magee
>>>> Sent from IPhone 4
>>>>
>>>> On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:50 PM, Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Mark
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm with you! All I want to know is…."When my engine quits at 5000 AGL, how many no wind miles can I glide?". I tend to think of altitude in feet and distance in miles. Different pilots have different ways of thinking about this. I prefer to think about it in terms of "How many miles can I go per thousand feet of altitude". Most every airplane I have flown has been "3 to 1". As you know that doesn't mean 3:1 glide ratio…it means I can go 3 miles for every 1000 ft altitude. Other pilots think in terms of actual glide ratio i.e. "18:1" which is exactly 3 to 1. Got you confused yet? It is all in semantics. It is important to get the semantics right so that we are all on the same page.
>>>>>
>>>>> Lets keep this discussion going. How far can YOU glide in your suddenly unpowered Velocity from 5000 feet (no wind of course!
>>>>>
>>>>> Your Phantom could only glide 5NM (30,000 ft) from 10000 feet? Man that thing was a brick!! The closest thing I can relate to is the T-38. All I remember about it was that L/Dmax was 240KIAS. Can't remember the glide ratio. Too many dead brain cells.
>>>>>
>>>>> Brooke
>>>>>
>>>>>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120621/2389dd7c/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list