REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 104

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:55:57 CDT 2012


I don't have the manual here at work, is the XLFG a 12 to 1 glide ratio
with a stopped prop?
Old Long EZ glided 20 to1 on a stopped prop.
I told myself I'd never fly the heavies... :(
Mark Magee

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Brooke Wolf <bwolf1 at tds.net> wrote:

> Steve….Just to be clear, do you mean 9.5 to 1, i.e., 9500 feet forward for
> every 1000 ft altitude loss?  It looks like mine is nearer 8.5 to 1.
>  Somehow, somewhere I got the idea it would be 15 to 1!  Maybe that is with
> a stopped prop.
>
> Brooke
>
>
>
>
>
> *From: *steve korney <s_korney at hotmail.com>
> *Subject: **Re: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance*
> *Date: *June 19, 2012 1:13:22 PM EDT
> *To: *Reflector Reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>
> *Reply-To: *Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org
> >
>
>
>
> At 85 KIAS @ 6000ft , you have about a 9.5 glide ratio.... What are you
> expecting to see....?
>
>
> Steve
>
> > From: bwolf1 at tds.net
> > Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:26:23 -0400
> > To: reflector at tvbf.org
> > Subject: REFLECTOR: Gliding Distance
> >
> > I am planning some overwater trips in the near future and the subject of
> gliding distance naturally comes to mind. I have done some limited test
> flying with my airplane (XLRG w/Aerocomposite variable pitch prop). The
> results of my gliding performance are not too good. All tests were done
> around 6000ft with throttle at idle and wheels up. Here are the results:
> >
> > 80 KIAS - 900fpm…….. yields a glide performance of 1.38 miles/1000 ft
> altitude
> > 85 KIAS - 1000fpm……..yeilds a glide performance of 1.41 miles/1000 ft
> altitude
> > 100 KIAS - 1250fpm …..yields a glide performance of 1.34 miles/1000 ft
> altitude
> >
> > As you can see, 85 KIAS appears to be the best glide speed.
> >
> > I know there may be a big difference in what I tested and what happens
> in the real world with a windmilling or stopped prop. Have any of you brave
> test pilots done any testing with a windmilling or stopped prop? What were
> the results? What kind of glide performance did others get with throttle at
> idle? Is there anyway to correlate throttle idle glide performance with
> windmilling or prop stopped performance? What is the best way to stretch a
> wheels up glide on a Velocity?
> >
> > I would like to get a discussion going on this and find what others have
> experienced. Thanks.
> >
> > Brooke, N108BG, XLRG-5, 145 hours
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120619/62d30534/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list