REFLECTOR: Engine Oil: Survey
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 08:42:45 CDT 2012
All,
This was as I feared, no one using Racing Grade auto synthetic. The data suggests that only the mineral based engine oils will effectively keep the lead in suspension, and keep it from sticking to vital parts (rings, piston skirt etc.) Unless someone has data otherwise I'll close out this thread and stick with Aeroshell or comparables.
Thanks to all who chimed in. Until the lead is gone, we will be using mineral based oil I suppose.
Mark B. Magee
Sent from IPhone 4
On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Jones Nick <nick.jones at volvo.com> wrote:
> I am using Phillips 100AW in the summer and Phillips X/C 20W50 plus ASL Camguard in my Lycoming here in VA. Engine has 2000 hours without a problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nick and Connie Jones
> Velocity XL-RG
> N10CN
> 99% done 90% to go
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Mark Magee
> Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:53 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Engine Oil: Survey
>
> All,
> The discussions on heat, oil and water spurred me to start this thread and ask if anyone is running anything other than Aeroshell, particularly in a LYC/CONT?
> For brevity I'll pose these questions:
> 1) Lycoming, Contenental, Auto (specify):
> 2) Aeroshell Only
> 2A) If additives what additive and ratio:
> 3) Other Oil: Specify
> 3A) If additives with Other Oil what Additive:
> 4) Oil Analysis performed?
> 4A) Results of Oil Analysis (general terms: how many hours deemed OK before dropping oil):
> Please include comments.
>
> We all know the certified engine mfgs will only approve Aeroshell and P-66 for they have the STC. From my study the only difference in certified GA engines and automotive engines is the lead in the fuel, and that Shell claims they neutralize the effects of the lead in the oil and that auto oil mfgs do not have to deal with lead anymore. I know folks are running Castrol Synthetic, Royal Purple, Redline, Mobil One, Amsoil and other synthetics in certificated engines. I can't see a negative to this, someone please tell me specifically how I am wrong. If touting Aeroshell then please be as chemically specific as possible and cite data (links).
> I am ready to change to an automotive synthetic racing oil. This would provide quite a layer of protection should I (we) run hot on a climbout. The synthetics don't really start to get into breakdown until approaching 400F.
>
> Let's see what the cat drags home!
>
> Mark Magee
> N34XL XLFG 300HP
> Brady TX
>
> 'Texan by Birth, Canardian by Choice.'
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120613/21ded399/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list