REFLECTOR: What engine hoist?
Herb Sanders
herbsanders at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 17:25:19 CDT 2012
I waited for someone to mention a cable ratchet come along (less than $20.00 at Harbor Freight), but no one did. I dropped a chain from a roof beam in my T Hangar in the area where my engine would be fully assembled and left it there 20 years. I used it to hang engines, change engine mount pads, take an engine mount off to repair a crack without having to undo all the wiring and plumbing, take the weight off the wheels to change tires, do brakes, align gear leg fairings and wheel pants for no load/in-flight conditions, etc, etc. It was surprising how often I used it. Had one at my home shop also. When I moved to a grass airport last year (H75) and built a hangar, put one there also. Can do airplane stuff plus lift my yard tractor to sharpen blades. Handy item. Herb
----- Original Message -----
From: Reiff Lorenz
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What engine hoist?
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll check out the local Harbor Freight and see if they have a 2-ton model (for the extra extension) in stock. I have a pile of 20% off coupons, and this is a great use for one. I'll also check ebay or see if any local builders have a used one to sell.
I avoid renting tools because it always takes me longer than I think it will and I end up spending more than the tool would have cost. Borrowing tools is great if you only need them briefly, but I hate feeling rushed to use it and return it.
I'm only 10 months into my build, and I suspect I'll need the hoist a number of times in the next few years. I'll consider myself lucky if I'm wrong!
Besides, my wife enjoys owning tools almost more than I do. She was the one who insisted I go online and look for engine hoists. I try to be a good husband and get her everything I want. :-)
Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
XL-RG, 33% complete
Continental installation kit and mock-up engine arrive next week
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.455 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/5061 - Release Date: 06/10/12 18:34:00
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120612/dd53c487/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list