REFLECTOR: Cookout
Lawrence Epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 17:59:02 CDT 2012
You must have missed my response.
I will be flying in, but will have a camper in Paul's Park. I believe we
will have a grill. It would have to be Tuesday night (we are probably
leaving Wed.).
Larry Epstein
(btw; anyone interested in renting the camper from Wed. on, contact me
directly.)
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Dan Schindler <danpilot91 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will have a rental car and I am willing to help go pickup items. Just
> let me know. Hope there is some interest, always a good time
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dan Schindler
>
> On Jun 10, 2012, at 12:58 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
>
> > Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> > reflector at tvbf.org
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> > reflector-request at tvbf.org
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> > reflector-owner at tvbf.org
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> > 1. Re: Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 7 - Velocity Cookout
> > (Mark Riley)
> > 2. Re: First flight (John Dibble)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 13:26:18 -0400
> > From: Mark Riley <the_rileys1 at verizon.net>
> > To: reflector at tvbf.org
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 7 - Velocity
> > Cookout
> > Message-ID: <940ED0FF-660A-464B-92B6-E1C17BC373A0 at verizon.net>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> >
> > My last post inquiring as to who would be willing to help set up this
> year's Velocity Cookout was met with cricket noises. Not a single person
> responded.
> >
> > Andy Millin did a yeoman's job of hosting the event in years past with
> help from others including the Ferrells. Both are now flying into the show
> and cannot take the lead this year. In particular, they cannot bring
> grills, canopies, tables and the other large items needed for the type of
> event we've been having.
> >
> > We always have a good turnout for the event and everyone seems to really
> enjoy it. However, no one seems to be interested enough to pitch in to make
> it happen this year. I hope that's not really the case. The factory has
> promised to offer support and Brett has raised some money for the event
> with sales of his Velocity calendar. We still need some help from folks who
> are not flying in, or at least those who will have a car at the show and
> would be willing to promote grills, tables and the like. Without that sort
> of support, we won't be able to have the same type of event. If that's the
> case, we could try to hold the event at a restaurant, such as Robin's.
> >
> > What do folks who plan to attend the show think? Is there really no
> interest in holding a Velocity cookout or dinner this year?
> >
> > Mark
> > On Jun 6, 2012, at 11:35 AM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:
> >
> >> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> >> reflector at tvbf.org
> >>
> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >> reflector-request at tvbf.org
> >>
> >> You can reach the person managing the list at
> >> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
> >>
> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> >> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
> >>
> >>
> >> Today's Topics:
> >>
> >> 1. Re: What are you working on? (Don Johnston)
> >> 2. Re: What are you working on? (Peter Braswell)
> >> 3. Re: What are you working on? (Gattenby)
> >> 4. Re: What are you working on? (Matt Bucko)
> >>
> >>
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 1
> >> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:39:16 -0500
> >> From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net>
> >> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> >> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >> Message-ID:
> >> <CALD29ipFg-SnG7tYawLxJmoVJH9hwfQ2y+Sq8x2W-BS+T81vHg at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >>
> >> Engine cowling. Oil door and cleaning up the air outlets.
> >>
> >> -Don
> >> XL-RG
> >>
> >> From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at Lorenz.com>
> >> To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> >> Cc:
> >> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:00:45 -0400
> >> Subject: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> The Reflector has been quiet this week. Hopefully that means that
> everyone
> >> is busy flying or building.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I'd love to hear what the Velocity community is working on. If your
> bird is
> >> in the air tell us where you're flying.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I've been spending my time on the wings; aileron torque tubes, wiring
> for
> >> nav/pos/strobe lights, and final fitting of the rudders. I'm trying to
> >> complete all the wing tasks that can be done without them attached to
> the
> >> fuselage.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH*
> >> Velocity XL-RG, 33% complete
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/3b76a320/attachment-0001.htm
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 2
> >> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:40:20 -0400
> >> From: Peter Braswell <peter.braswell at gmail.com>
> >> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> >> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >> Message-ID:
> >> <CAP6bQxEz_T1x=dbtyAv5=8a4RdsD+aNNziVH9pP7DXDtovM8Kw at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> >>
> >> Hey Reiff,
> >>
> >> I recently got the strakes closed off which of course is followed by
> hours
> >> of filling and sanding. This past week, I was able to get the strake
> >> baggage area bulkheads installed and glassed in, wings cut loose and the
> >> leading edge filled and taped on both sides.
> >>
> >> I'm real close to taking the wings off and doing the finish work on the
> >> strakes, including the pressure check of the tanks then the preverbal
> >> flip-over to do stuff to the bottom of the plane.
> >>
> >> I'm taking a 5 day break from building to finish off my IFR rating with
> PIC
> >> starting Friday. With any luck, this time next week I'll have my
> >> instrument ticket, then it's back to the salt mines working on the
> plane. :)
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> *"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
> >> *Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at lorenz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> The Reflector has been quiet this week. Hopefully that means that
> everyone
> >>> is busy flying or building.****
> >>>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> I'd love to hear what the Velocity community is working on. If your
> bird
> >>> is in the air tell us where you're flying.****
> >>>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> I've been spending my time on the wings; aileron torque tubes, wiring
> for
> >>> nav/pos/strobe lights, and final fitting of the rudders. I'm trying to
> >>> complete all the wing tasks that can be done without them attached to
> the
> >>> fuselage.****
> >>>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> *Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH*
> >>>
> >>> Velocity XL-RG, 33% complete****
> >>>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> ** **
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visit
> >>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>>
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/574dac02/attachment-0001.htm
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 3
> >> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:19:52 -0500
> >> From: Gattenby <gattenby at tulsaconnect.com>
> >> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> >> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >> Message-ID: <3394CF94-AC94-461B-889A-4ED1E9315DF4 at tulsaconnect.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> >>
> >> Still sanding and filling and sanding and. How could a wing look so
> smooth when I put the triax on be so wavy when I sand the micro off??
> >>
> >> Noel
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Engine cowling. Oil door and cleaning up the air outlets.
> >>>
> >>> -Don
> >>> XL-RG
> >>>
> >>> From: Reiff Lorenz <Reiff at Lorenz.com>
> >>> To: "reflector at tvbf.org" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> >>> Cc:
> >>> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 10:00:45 -0400
> >>> Subject: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> The Reflector has been quiet this week. Hopefully that means that
> everyone is busy flying or building.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> I'd love to hear what the Velocity community is working on. If your
> bird is in the air tell us where you're flying.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> I've been spending my time on the wings; aileron torque tubes, wiring
> for nav/pos/strobe lights, and final fitting of the rudders. I'm trying to
> complete all the wing tasks that can be done without them attached to the
> fuselage.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
> >>>
> >>> Velocity XL-RG, 33% complete
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/fabffbce/attachment-0001.htm
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 4
> >> Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 08:34:00 -0700
> >> From: Matt Bucko <mbuc310 at cox.net>
> >> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> >> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What are you working on?
> >> Message-ID: <4FCF7868.9090506 at cox.net>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> >>
> >> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> >> URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/8dea5366/attachment.htm
> >
> >> -------------- next part --------------
> >> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> >> Name: airplane.gif
> >> Type: image/gif
> >> Size: 14607 bytes
> >> Desc: not available
> >> URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/8dea5366/attachment.gif
> >
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>
> >> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 7
> >> ****************************************
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:57:58 -0500
> > From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: First flight
> > Message-ID: <4FD4E026.2080205 at bluefrog.com>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
> >
> > Hmmm. With the coolers in parallel, how do you know where the oil is
> > going? Seems like it will take the path of least resistance. Maybe one
> > cooler isn't doing much?
> >
> > John
> >
> > On 6/10/2012 8:34 AM, Chris Barber wrote:
> >>
> >> I have two oil coolers already. The standard cooler mounted under the
> >> aircraft laid flat with the radiator to make one large unit and fed
> >> with a large ram air scoop on the bottom of the cowl. I also have a
> >> second oil cooler (standard aircraft cooler as provided by Velocity)
> >> in the nose per planes plumbed in parallel. It was originally plumbed
> >> in series but since it has smaller fittings, it was causing a pressure
> >> issue and oil would seep out from around my oil filter.
> >>
> >> I got some pondering to do.
> >>
> >> I was just looking at the distorted video I took while in the pattern
> >> on downwind. It is only a few seconds long. Very hard to see some of
> >> the info. It does show my rpm got up to 6870 rpm but the map on
> >> the RWS monitor was only indicating 24.7. (?) I am running a spring
> >> in the waste gate at 1.5 lbs. Coolant temps were 187 degrees while oil
> >> was 224 degrees. GPS speed showed 128 kts per the Dynon.
> >>
> >> The IVO in-flight adjustable prop was at full fine. The IVO pith range
> >> is 45 - 105 and IIRC it is 68 inches.
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] on
> >> behalf of John Dibble [aminetech at bluefrog.com]
> >> *Sent:* Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:27 AM
> >> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: First flight
> >>
> >> I second that for the oil cooler. Are you using the standard oil
> >> cooler? I think a problem is that the standard oil cooler is intended
> >> for engines in the 180-200 hp range and for engines with more hp, a
> >> larger cooler is needed. It doesn't take much increase in cooler size
> >> to make a big difference in cooling, so a larger cooler (1" taller)
> >> may be all you need and simpler than adding a second.
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> >> On 6/9/2012 8:28 PM, Al Gietzen wrote:
> >>> Way to go Chris!! That is a life-changing milestone. Congratulations!
> >>> Reminiscent of 1st flight with my plane - oil temp hit 225 and ended
> >>> the flight with one turn around the patch. As you said; not critical,
> >>> but you don't want to run a rotary very long above that temp. For
> >>> me it took some work on the scoop; and eventually a second oil cooler
> >>> to keep things in the comfort zone on a hot day. You might consider
> >>> an auxiliary oil/coolant heat exchanger.
> >>> Now that you are a "real" pilot, get out there at 0700 when air temp
> >>> is below 80 and maybe you can fly long enough to enjoy it.
> >>> Al
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> >>> <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
> >>> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *Chris Barber
> >>> *Sent:* Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:50 AM
> >>> *To:* REFLECTOR
> >>> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: First flight
> >>>
> >>> Cleared to take active and hold. Taxied out. Lined up castering
> >>> nose wheel down center stripe. Cleared to take off. Added power
> >>> and engine smoothly ran up. Airspeed coming in. 30 kts...50 kts
> >>> ....60 kts, approximate rotation speed. Lots of runway (9000
> >>> ft).....hold it....70 kts....72 kts... Slight pull on the
> >>> yoke....AIRBORNE!!! Leaped into ground effect. Screw this, pulled
> >>> back on yoke and I am climbing. Jiggled the yoke a bit to
> >>> verify control authority.
> >>>
> >>> Climbed to about 400 feet and turned right pattern to crosswind.
> >>> The Dynon altitude and airspeed seem to be working. That's
> >>> reassuring. Pattern altitude is only 600 feet and I was there
> >>> already as I turned to downwind. Leveled off and noticed the
> >>> clouds were lower than reported and appeared on the ground. Also,
> >>> noticed coolant temps had dropped to 190....but oil temps were
> >>> flashing at me and had reached 225 (synthetic Royal Purple).
> >>> Damn. Ok. Fly the airplane, the oil is not at not a critical
> >>> level. , but let's just finish the pattern and land. I grabbed my
> >>> phone while on downwind and attempted to record some data but
> >>> while I can hear the engine the video is awful....uh, in my
> >>> defense, I was a bit distracted and way more concerned with
> >>> flying. I called the tower and informed them I was coming in. I
> >>> think they were looking out for me since as I turned to base I
> >>> noticed the fire department staged just off the runways threshold
> >>>
> >>> I noted I was a bit far out on down wind so I stared easing over
> >>> to turn base. Wow. I really overshot it as I blew by the runway
> >>> and had to use full right rudder to get back to the runway. I
> >>> wish I had had more rudder. In hindsight I think I was not using
> >>> much aileron as I was cognoscente that I had no idea of stall
> >>> characteristics so I did not yet wish too strep a turn. I was
> >>> able to get over the runway and dump some altitude as I got over
> >>> the numbers and pulled power. Crap, I am fast. I am lined up and
> >>> right on the numbers but at 95 kts. I come and touchdown and
> >>> bounced. Pulled power to idles and settled down easily but fast
> >>> at 90 and rolled out and exited at Delta. The tower was clearing
> >>> me back to the city hangars as I was exiting the active. I taxi
> >>> back and noticed the oil temps had decreased but I don't recall
> >>> how much, just noticed they were lower.
> >>>
> >>> I got back to my hangar and popped the door and shut her down.
> >>> The engine went silent without any hissing or gushing.
> >>>
> >>> I called my mom.
> >>>
> >>> I am mowing informing the world.
> >>>
> >>> I did a walk around and did not see anything missing. I am about
> >>> to pull the cowl and check things out.
> >>>
> >>> I did notice I did not develop a slight hand shaking untill after
> >>> I landed and exited the aircraft. ;-) Hey, how about that, it
> >>> really is an aircraft now. Ten years to the day following delivery.
> >>>
> >>> Thank you for your support.
> >>>
> >>> Christopher Barber, JD
> >>> Houston, Ellington Field (EFD)
> >>> Velocity N17010
> >>> Turbo Rotary 13b
> >>> RWS Re-drive and engine computers
> >>> Dynon Skyview
> >>> Mistral intake
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Sent from my iPhone 4
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> To change your email address, visithttp://
> www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>>
> >>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
> >>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail <
> http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
> >>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> > -------------- next part --------------
> > An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> > URL: <
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120610/5d6d9eef/attachment.htm
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >
> > End of Reflector Digest, Vol 87, Issue 55
> > *****************************************
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120610/49e1f1f8/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list