REFLECTOR: Speeds

Glenn Babcock glennbabcock at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 6 21:59:44 CDT 2012


Scott,

You are correct, I meant static inspection. I take your point, and realize that the static test is "static". :-)

I've done a lot of work to get my static system accurate in flight, but as I said I've never tried your dynamic test. I do think that there is value in cross checking GPS speeds and known winds with the TAS on my EFIS. 

I'll definitely try your test and let you know. Thanks!

Regards,
Glenn

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:10 PM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:

> Glenn,
> 
> I'd be glad to apologize if proved wrong, but...
> 
> There is no pitot-static inspection for VFR or IFR, just static. And all that verifies is that your altimeter and encoder report the correct "BENCH" test altitude.  I too had a current IFR static sign off when my static system was 250 ft off at 150 kias! Static sign off means absolutely nothing about the accuracy of it in flight.
> 
> You could have 10 GPS's on board and you still may not know your TAS! Not to belabor the point but I also fly with an IFR Approach Approved GPS.  Certainly doesn't mean any thing about the in flight accuracy of your static or pitot system, or your TAS.
> 
> Scott
> 
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Speeds
> From: Glenn Babcock <glennbabcock at roadrunner.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 06/06/2012 06:04 PM
> 
>> Scott,
>> 
>> I'd be glad to take you up and listen to your apology. I have an IFR bird with a current pitot-static inspection and 3 GPSs including an IFR certified unit.  I regularly fly 500+ mile trips using those airspeeds. My numbers are accurate.
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Glenn
>> 
>> On Jun 6, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Scott Derrick<scott at tnstaafl.net>  wrote:
>> 
>>> Richard,
>>> 
>>> I think your doing very well at 170 KTAS..
>>> 
>>> I haven't seen a Std RG any faster when comparing TAS.
>>> 
>>> I don't have much confidence when I hear somebody reporting faster speeds than that with an STD RG. The longwing STD's are 5-10 knots slower than the orig STD.
>>> 


More information about the Reflector mailing list