REFLECTOR: High speed ground cont.
Chris Barber
cbarber at texasattorney.net
Wed Jun 6 17:24:37 CDT 2012
Ha, yeah, I taxied out with the a/c off this time. The a/c manufacturer, a close friend of mine, insists the a/c adds little heat since the condenser is not mounted to the rad. The compressor does load the engine a bit, thus heat, but the system is approved for takeoff in the certified planes it's installed in.
That being said the big ol' door keeps it ok temperature wise during taxi but boy does it get really hot the second the door is closed. Whew.
Chris
Sent from my iPhone 4
On Jun 6, 2012, at 5:13 PM, "Mark Magee" <edjonesbrady at gmail.com<mailto:edjonesbrady at gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi Chris,
Turn your A/C off when taxiing, that will keep temps down... :)
I assume you have a fan on your radiator, pc fans on the oil coolers have shown results on some applications.
I would research an H2O injector, they are quite effective in cooling the EGT's and CHT's. Rotary's seem to get hotter quicker than Lyc/Cont's due to less thermal mass to absorb the heat while taxing and under low airflow conditions.
Your temps actually sound encouraging, but on climb-out when you fly that bird, I'd be keeping your climb very shallow to scoop as much air as possible. Maybe even climb at 120kts/500FPM.
That'll be hard as the ground will stop being your friend on your first flight and you'll want some distance from it, but your cooling will suffer at WOT if you try and climb it out at 80 to 100 kts. We Lyc folks have a similar prob on hot days.
When she's airworthy, come see me!
Mark Magee
N34XL XLFG 300HP
Brady TX
'Texan By Birth, Canardian By Choice.'
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Chris Barber <cbarber at texasattorney.net<mailto:cbarber at texasattorney.net>> wrote:
Just did another nose lift at about 70 kts. OAT is indicating 107 degrees on my engine monitor. Coolant temps were around 200 when I took active after a long taxi and waiting for a Cherokee to taxi in. Oil was lower. Coolant went to about 210 when powered up at the numbers but started to drop slightly as I built speed. About 205 as I left active and 215 as I got to hangar.
I don't think that is too bad considering the conditions, Really hot and humid.
I was also happy the temps started down as I gathered speed even though the run down the runway was only several seconds. I would hope the temps will continue down to preferred levels as I continue to increase speed. Impossible to know while on the ground.
I know, go fly and find out... Uh, yeah, but with mid-day temps at 107 on the ramp I think I prefer an early morning and less wind and likely much less bumpy.
Chris
Houston
Velocity SE
13b turbo rotary
Sent from my iPhone 4
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120606/f0c2c75c/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list