REFLECTOR: OIL/AIR SEPARATOR....
vance atkinson
nostromo56 at tx.rr.com
Sun Jul 15 11:25:28 CDT 2012
No I haven't but will send you some if YOU want to send it in.
But when you think about it, why would you want to re-introduce nasty
combustion by-products BACK into your engine ?
My COZY is 25 yrs old and has 2000 hours on it. Many years ago I did
run the drain line from the OIL/AIR separator into the pan and possibly
ruined a cam.
On our field we have an FAA designee thats licenced to award A&P and IA
certificates and super knowledgeable about engines and personally
owning a Baron and a Bonanza.
On this particular instance, I had pulled two cylinders and asked him to
come over and give me his opinion of the cams lobes and lifters. In the
process he spotted my oil return line and said "thats not a good idea
and probably helped wear that cam down" Of course the cam was shot. So
by by oil return........
Vance Atkinson
On 7/15/2012 8:08 AM, Mark Magee wrote:
> Hi/ Vance,
> Have you ever sent that collected oil away for analysis? I'd be curious as to what spectrographic analysis shows.
> I have always used air-oil separators with a return line and understood it was OK with Lycoming and Continental, and even an OEM setup on some certificated birds.
>
> Mark B. Magee
> N34XL
> Sent from IPhone 4
> /
> On Jul 15, 2012, at 7:48 AM, vance atkinson <nostromo56 at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>>> I was also concerned about returning the oil to the crankcase as it is contaminated with bad stuff. Acids, raw fuel, etc...
>>>>
>>>> Scott
>>> I agree with Scott. Block off the return line and fly for a few hours and then examine the collected oil... really nasty stuff.
>>>
>>> Sid
>> You should never return the oil from an oil separator to the crankcase ! Its the most vile, disgusting collection of gunk Ive seen come out of an engine...
>>
>> If you don't believe me, capture some in a small one pint bottle ( like I did in the inclosed pic...upper left corner) and take a whiff of that stuff... awful !
>>
>> You can vent the line that comes from the "collection side" of the oil separator to the outside of the cowl, but that will leave a nice looking oil streak on the cowl.
>>
>> Better to capture it like I did, that way you can see how much oil is being separated out. Mine is about two feet down from the separator using a rubber hose stuck in a Revlon polypropylene bottle. Simple got the bottle from my wife. I usually empty the bottle every 4 to 6 months.
>>
>> Vance Atkinson
>> EAA Tech and Flt Advisor
>> COZY N43CZ
>> VEZ N3LV
>>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120715/5b155cef/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list