REFLECTOR: aileron binding

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 10:25:08 CDT 2012


I reamed out my dust covers and it helped mine. I also changed the routing to give a larger bending arc inside the cabin before going through the gear bulkheads, this probably helped the most. My aircraft is the XLRG with the -5 cut down keel option. I called the factory and asked if the XLRG-5 aileron control cables were supposed to be shorter than the standard XLRG and they said no. My thoughts are that they should be at least 2 inches shorter to allow the bending arc inside the cabin to be routed correctly. I'm not flying yet, but they did tell me that the control forces would be lighter in the air than on the ground. I hope to find out in the next few months.
 
Andy Ellzey 


>________________________________
> From: John Tvedte <johnt at comp-sol.com>
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org> 
>Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:09 PM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: aileron binding
>  
>
>I know Scott Swing has talked about reaming out the ends of the dust covers (rubber end pieces) on the cables – suggest you take them off the push/pull cables temporarily, to see if that’s where the cable friction comes into play.  
> 
>From:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Don Johnston
>Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:06 PM
>To: reflector at tvbf.org
>Subject: REFLECTOR: aileron binding
> 
>It's not the aileron. It's something in the cable. With no cable attached the aileron moves with ZERO friction. But once the cable is attached, it's sticky. 
>
>I'm hoping that I'm creating a problem where none exists. When I had both wings on, Malcolm said the stick was easier to move than most others. So perhaps the weight of the other aileron cancels out some of the cable friction.
>
>-Don
>
>From: John Tvedte <johnt at comp-sol.com>
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Cc: 
>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:29:54 -0500
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron binding?
>Don,
> 
>With the Aileron torque tube travelling through an arc – a spherical bearing will help with binding.  In my case, I’m going ‘old school’ (aka Long EZ/Cozy) – and using a universal joint at the connection between the torque tube and the aileron, in conjunction with the spherical bearing at the wing root.  Parts are available off the shelf from Cozy Girls, and Infinity Aerospace.  Let me know if you’d like part #’s, etc.
> 
>John 
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>   
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120712/4ceec2f0/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list