REFLECTOR: GRT Displays overheating - Anyone else see this?
Lawrence Epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:28:30 CDT 2012
Brett-
Was it just the display?
Did it come back on spontaneously, or did you have to shut it down and
restart later.
How long before it recovered?
I also though about having a second radiator in the nose for Winter heat. I
was thinking to have a shut off valve so that it wouldn't have any flow in
the summer.
Larry
On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com>wrote:
> We've had quite a string of hot weather here in SW Ohio as of late, and on
> the last couple of flights we've had issues with our GRT HX screens
> overheating and shutting down in flight. We've got backup dial gauges, but
> needless to say, it's disappointing when you lose the fancy readouts, and
> though we've been planning to fly to Airventure we will likely won't if we
> can't quickly find a solution to the issue. Has anyone else seen this
> behavior? If so, how did you resolve it?
>
> GRT tell me that the screens should run 'about 30 degrees' above ambient.
> They will shut down at 160 F, and you can see the internal temperature by
> going to setup menu (Display Maint, Analog Input page). It's been right at
> 100 F here for the last few days, and I can confirm that on the ground they
> warm right up to 130. We went around the pattern and in less than two
> passes they were shutting down! I went to the setup page, and sure enough,
> they were reporting in the mid 150s.
>
> GRT believes that if I add vents to my glaresheild the issue will resolve
> itself, but I have already tried a large (68 cfm) computer fan aimed at the
> back of the displays, which only relieved about 1 degree F of temperature,
> and tried routing cooling air from the nose fresh air vent to the back of
> the displays to no effect (the screens still shutdown in flight). I
> believe my situation is unique because I mounted a second oil cooler in the
> nose for winter recirculating air usage (rather than cold outside air), and
> have checked this cooler is, in fact, getting quite hot. On my last flight
> it was over 200 F even though the one on the nose NACA was below 180, so I
> think this cooler is just filling the nose area with hot air. Net, I'm
> going to pull that cooler, and at some point put vents in the glaresheild,
> but that's a fair amount of effort the way I have it mounted.
>
> Brett
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120709/f95954ef/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list