REFLECTOR: Michaels Epoxy Pump or handpumps ?

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 23:47:32 CST 2012


I switched to West Systems epoxy and the hand pumps (Like velocity West did) .. right after all my structural stuff. I find that setup very easy to work with. My Velocity supplied epoxy pump gave up the ghost relatively early, and there was no rebuild kit to fix it. 


Kurt 


Prepping for paint... still..




-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Prock <jackprock at wavecable.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sun, Jan 29, 2012 10:42 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Michaels Epoxy Pump or handpumps ?


Hi Patrick,
 
I have the expensive Michaels pump and it works great when moving a lot of epoxy through it, like when I was building
my wings and canard. But, if you aren't using a lot of epoxy, the pump tends to get gummed up.
After I finished the big pieces, over time the epoxy tended to get sludgy and hard to move through the pump.
I spent more time cleaning it than using it. 
 
If you only have small parts, just buy a good electronic scale and use hand pumping to measure out
the ratio. This works fine and you won't waste time with all that cleaning. My epoxy pump is now cleaned
and empty and sitting in storage, while I finish the rest of the plane.
 
Jack
  
----- Original Message ----- 
  
From:   Patrick   Sieders 
  
To: reflector at tvbf.org 
  
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:07   PM
  
Subject: REFLECTOR: Michaels Epoxy Pump   or handpumps ?
  


  
  
 
  
Hello   All,
  
 
  
I   would like some input into what epoxy pumps to buy. I know the difference, my   question is more about if it’s worth it looking at the state of my   project.
  
 
  
Some   may remember that I took over Tom Tolton’s XL5 Fg. Since the airplane hull is   pretty much done, I am looking at some smaller epoxy projects to finish it up.   
  
 
  
So   should I buy the more expensive Michaels ratio pump or could I suffice with   the handpumps ?
  
 
  
Take   a look at my project as it sits in my garage right now ( http://www.sieders.com/sieders/velocity/index.htm   ) and I would love to hear your opinion.
  
 
  
Thanks,
  
 
  
Patrick   Sieders
  
Nashville   TN USA
  
XL5-FG
  
 
  
  

  
_______________________________________________
To change your email   address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the   gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check   new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:   http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120130/9ebddb41/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list