REFLECTOR: The Reflector's back

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jan 29 21:22:42 CST 2012


This one was a terrible confluence of events, the worst of which, I was 
out of town on business for the last two weeks which makes 
troubleshooting impossible.

It all started with a simple project to get an Internet connection to 
the hangar so I could work on those computers from the house in my comfy 
chair.  After all, hangar time is meant for building, not playing around 
on computers.

The root of the problem is that I set up a tunnel to the airplane, with 
an endpoint on the same computer that runs the email.  It worked fine 
for several weeks.  However, the email server attached to that tunnel 
endpoint the next time it was restarted, causing a cascade of failures, 
most as a result of upgrades (DNS, network, sendmail) and dead end 
solutions.

I put in a considerable amount of time yesterday and today just trying 
to figure out why the server wouldn't receive connections.  Once I found 
the problem, the solution was fairly easy, as is always the case.  It's 
like the old story of the water pump in the mine.  The pump wasn't 
working, so they called the repairman who came in, looked it over and 
hit it with a hammer, then charged them $100.  $1 for the strike, and 
$99 for knowing where to hit it.

On 01/29/2012 05:15 PM, Laurence Coen wrote:
> YEAH!
> Thanks Brian
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120129/9b50765a/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list