REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jan 16 17:14:57 CST 2012


I dd the same.  What a major difference!

David Scharfenberg <dave at winco.net> wrote:

>Fred,
>
>Thanks for the information on the liquid fuel heater.  Sounds promising. 
>
>I made several efforts to seal the nose gear doors but no matter how good they looked they still leaked some air.  As you know it doesn't take much of a leak at below zero to keep the cabin cold.  I was finally able to stop the leaking by making a boot to go around the top of the nose gear leg.  It looks like a shifter boot in a car, only upside down.  It takes a ton of measuring to get it right.  I started by sticking super heavy duty velcro to the inside of the tunnel, all around the open area.  Then it was a matter of sewing up the boot (out of vinyl auto upholstery) and sewing velcro around the edges of the boot.  Then I slid it over the top of the gear leg and connected the velcros.  It really has worked well.
>
>Dave
>
>
>
>On Jan 16, 2012, at 10:38 AM, Fred Anderka wrote:
>
>Dave:
> 
>Cabin heating is a serious issue for us flying in the frozen north.  Just returned from Tucson this weekend to the Ottawa (Ontario) area where the OAT after Colombia MO was -23C at 9500 ft. it was also -23 in the cabin.  The oil heater does not work at all when the oil temperature is below 180F.  On this flight the oil  temp was about 170-175F for most of the trip with CHT's in the 200 to 220° range, the NACA VG’s are working too well.  Scott has a number of ideas on reducing the air flow through the engine NACA’s that I have to try.
> 
>A Challenger (Ultra-light) owner has installed an AIR TOP 2000STD (http://www.webastoshowroom.com/pdf/New%20LIt/AirTop2000ST_spec.pdf) and claims it makes his plane winter flyable with lots of heat.  I have one in a box and plan on installing it just ahead of the Canard and above the front gear leg.  The unit is only about 10 lbs. but requires a separate Diesel tank.  Our local truck stop only had the diesel version although there is a gasoline version available.  At full output (7000 BTU’s) the unit burns about one quart of diesel in 4 hours.
> 
>I will report the results once installed.  I am also rebuilding my front gear doors to provide a better seal and reduce the blast of frigid air.
> 
>Fred Anderka
>C-GHOL XL RG
> 
> 
> 
>The only time I ever need defrost is a night departure when it's cold out.  The problem is that I don't have any source of heat then (avionics or oil).  The windshield tint compounds the problem.  Twice I've been completely blind at Midway.  Really not safe!
> 
>The problem with an electric heater is that with a 60 amp alternator I don't have much spare power available. I wish someone made a SMALL self contained fuel heater.
> 
>Dave
> 
> 
> 
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120116/1d8ea975/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list