REFLECTOR: How much hydraulic fluid in gear reservoir

Mike Wilson iflylb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:21:25 CST 2012


I have not flown my plane in over six months until recently. During the down time a small circle of hydraulic fluid appeared just behind the nose gear tire. I checked the gear reservoir as well as the reservoir for the brakes and could not find a leak anywhere. I thoroughly cleaned all surfaces in hopes to see leak evidence over the next flight involving gear activity. I have flown her 3 times and the gear and brakes are fine and no further evidence of leaks.

Now Im in a quandary as to what to check next. Here are my questions.

How much fluid should be in the gear reservoir?

What type of hydraulic fluid should I use?

Can I add hydraulic fluid into the existing fluid or should I completely drain and refill?

When is the reservoir more full, gear up or down? ( I know that was is dumb but I really don't know).


This list is invaluable and I thank everyone for their help.

Mike Wilson
N99KT


More information about the Reflector mailing list