REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Ron Velocity XLFG VelocityXL at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 15 22:47:44 CST 2012


Tried the centrifugal  fan It does not do very much pretty much a waist of time . The best Idea to me so far is the 
extra heat exchanger in the cabin.

My 2 cents

Ron

From: David Scharfenberg 
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:15 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

I've fought the cabin heat issue for years and sealing all of the cold air leaks up front seems to be the first and most important step.  After that, blocking off about half of the front oil cooler with duct tape helped. 

I tried to block all of the outside air to the front cooler and recirculate cabin air through it with bilge fan.  That just resulted in too high oil temp and virtually no cabin heat.  I think the static pressure was too much for the fan I used.  A centrifugal fan may have worked, but I just had no place to put one.

Dave Scharfenberg
Std/RG


On Jan 13, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Don Johnston wrote:

Ruben,

Here's my theory: The temperature of the air is only going to increase so much by passing through the oil cooler.  On a cold day in the north with the OAT at -10F, I'm guessing an increase of 50F from passing through the oil cooler. This means 40 degree air blowing in.  

So I installed a damper between the front/side NACA and the oil cooler. Moving the damper to block the outside air uncovers a duct from the cabin which is fed by a blower. This way I am recirculating cabin air through the oil cooler at a lower speed.

In a couple years when I'm flying I'll let you know if it works. :-)

-Don


From: ruben at vainneg.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:35:34 -0500
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Hi all,

When I am flying below 0 Celsius outside temperature, the oil cooler seems to not heat enough the air coming into the cabin. The other day at -12C outside it was very chill in the cabin. I heard some of you partially cover the cooler, but not sure if the can be risky if covered too much. Has any one had any experience trying to get more cabin heat?

Ruben


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120115/cc0ef2c9/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list