REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat - Damper Install
John Dibble
aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sun Jan 15 18:58:49 CST 2012
I'm sending each picture separate. Basically I cut a door out of the
naca and hinged it on the front end. This first pic is normal operation
with the door closed and outside air going to the cooler as normal.
John
Ruben Creus wrote:
> John,
>
> Could you send pictures of the damper install? What type of blower did
> you use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ruben
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: John Dibble [mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com]
>
> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:21 PM
> To:Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
>
> Don Johnston wrote:
>
>> Ruben,
>>
>> Here's my theory: The temperature of the air is only going to
>> increase so much by passing through the oil cooler. On a cold day
>> in the north with the OAT at -10F, I'm guessing an increase of 50F
>> from passing through the oil cooler. This means 40 degree air
>> blowing in.
>
>
> If the diverter flap completely closes the exit duct, the amount of
> cooling air is reduced causing the oil temp to increase and the air
> heats up more.
>
>> So I installed a damper between the front/side NACA and the oil
>> cooler. Moving the damper to block the outside air uncovers a duct
>> from the cabin which is fed by a blower. This way I am recirculating
>> cabin air through the oil cooler at a lower speed.
>
>
> I installed something very similar. I use it for cooling while
> taxiing. The flap operates automatically when the blower is turned
> on. It works well. I had plans to run a duct from the cabin to the
> blower to recirculate air, but so far haven't needed that.
>
> John
>
>> In a couple years when I'm flying I'll let you know if it works.
>> :-)
>>
>> -Don
>>
>> From: ruben at vainneg.com
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:35:34 -0500
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I am flying below 0 Celsius outside temperature, the oil cooler
>> seems to not heat enough the air coming into the cabin. The other
>> day at -12C outside it was very chill in the cabin. I heard some of
>> you partially cover the cooler, but not sure if the can be risky if
>> covered too much. Has any one had any experience trying to get more
>> cabin heat?
>>
>> Ruben
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>>
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120115/6f2bf80c/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cooler blower 001 a.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 178275 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120115/6f2bf80c/attachment-0001.jpg>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list