REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

Ruben Creus ruben at vainneg.com
Sat Jan 14 21:44:51 CST 2012


Scott,

 

Can you open and close the flap from inside the cabin or is it an external
flap?

 

Ruben

 

  _____  

From: Scott Derrick [mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net] 
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 4:25 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat

 

Heating the cabin in a pusher is a sticky wicket! If you live near the
factory, its really not an issue. If you live up north or in the mountain
west, the nose oil cooler/cabin heater design is pathetic. 
I tried covering a portion of the oil cooler and that helped heat the cabin
but at times I would have really high oil temps on hot departures. I stopped
doing that, better to be cold than hurt the engine.
I now have an adjustable flap on the exit of the nose oil cooler, helps a
LOT! In the winter I usually leave this closed, which allows about 1/3 of
the normal amount of air though the heater not counting the small amount
going into the cabin. Each side pilot/copilot has a control to adjust how
much air they get at their feet. On hot departures or in the summer the flap
is full open so no oil temp problems..
I also have an aux oil cooler/rear cabin heater under the back seat. It
blows a huge amount of hot air onto the rear passengers feet. It can also be
configured to blow air out of the cabin for additional cooling, but I don't
think its much help, maybe 5-10 degree reduction when the oil is above 220. 
The front cabin heater is still not good enough when the temps are below 30F
for the copilot. Pilot side still gets warm air. That long hose over to the
copilt side cools the air. I even insulated most of it but it is still not
good when its really cold outside.

Scott

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cabin Heat
From: Ruben Creus  <mailto:ruben at vainneg.com> <ruben at vainneg.com>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Date: 01/12/2012 07:35 PM



Hi all,

 

When I am flying below 0 Celsius outside temperature, the oil cooler seems
to not heat enough the air coming into the cabin. The other day at -12C
outside it was very chill in the cabin. I heard some of you partially cover
the cooler, but not sure if the can be risky if covered too much. Has any
one had any experience trying to get more cabin heat?

 

Ruben

 

 
 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html





-- 
Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an
experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120114/6195cf00/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list