REFLECTOR: Apps

Peter Braswell peter.braswell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:28:59 CST 2012


John,
WingX and Foreflight both have weather, the difference is how it's
delivered.

For WingX it's via ADS-B which is free but you have to buy an ADS-B
receiver for around $1000.  More information on that here:
http://www.skyradar.net

ForeFlight WX is powered by XM.  For that you need a special antenna too,
also priced around $1000 the last time I checked PLUS you need an XM
weather subscription.  I think XM weather is between $30-$75/month, but
don't quote me.  I haven't shopped in a while.

The choice is tough to me because I think ForeFlight is a better service,
although there are some nice things in WingX like their split screen
option.  You can have a IFR enroute next to an approach chart for example.
 Can't do that with FF.  On the other hand I believe ForeFlight weather
planning is a lot better.  All the weather is nicely laid out and decoded.
 I'm talking about the METARS and TAFs, not the graphical / real-time
weather.

I don't have a lot of experience with XM weather and I've got none with
ADS-B so I can't really speak to one verses the other.

Peter

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*"It's a Jungle Up There": www.zuluworks.com*
*Great Aviation Gear: www.sky-gadgets.com*
------------------------------------------------------------------------



On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM, John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Tim Walsh wrote:
>
> Lou,
>
> This has been somewhat of a quest for me.  Two years ago I made a silly,
> lazy mistake and needed ATC assistance to get down - solid overcast in my
> local area.  I checked the weather on my Iphone and thought I had the
> latest.  I was wrong.
>
> Sometimes when you're right, you're still wrong.  Last week I flew from NY
> to MS.  The forecast weather was basically clear below 12 k the entire
> route except near my destination due to approaching weather where a 4 k
> ceiling was forecast.  So I figured I could fly VFR no problem.  The last
> hour of flight was at night.  There was just enough light that I could see
> cloud tops in the distance.  I decided to call flight watch for an update
> because soon the clouds would be hard to see.  The first thing he said was
> there was an IFR airmet with 400' ceilings and 1 mi visibility and asked
> when I had my last briefing.  I replied 3 hours ago.  To say that put a
> damper on the flight is a huge understatement.  Then he gave me weather at
> several nearby airports (my destination doesn't have weather).  One report
> 10 mi away was clear below 12k.  Another one on the opposite side was 7 k
> ceiling.  At that point I wanted to say WTF, but instead asked him to
> repeat the weather for the other airports.  He got my drift and added that
> the airmet was for sometime in the next 4 hours.  And so I proceeded a
> happy flier.
> I want to get some inflight weather capability.  You say the WingX Pro7
> has free weather.  I assume you have to pay for some service for the Ipad.
> How does that work, since cell phones don't work in the air?
>
> John
>
>
>
> Since then, I have been looking at different programs so to use on my
> Ipad.  I currently have Foreflight, and WingX Pro7 (with geo-synched
> approach plates).
>
> For preflight weather, Foreflight is the best tool to give you that
> situational awareness to make a Go-No Go decision.  I really like the
> graphics they used to depict what is going on.
>
> WingX Pro7 also has Wx tools, but not as good.  I use WingX Pro7  as an
> excellent in-flight cross country tool.
>
> Both programs are now offering in-flight Wx capabilities, again something
> I have been watching closely.  Currently Foreflight uses a XM WX package.
> You need about a $1,100 box, and a monthly subscription.
>
> WingX Pro7 also has a $1,100 box, but uses FAA’s free ADSB data to provide
> both traffic and WX.
>
> Both companies say they will expand their options for the ADSB
> capabilities.  I currently have two Dynon Skyviews in the plane (love
> them!).  Dynon has also stated they will be offering an in-flight Wx
> capability.  I am hoping it will be compatible with the Skyview, and my
> Ipad (I really like the zoom function for my old eyes).
>
> Hope this helps.  Tim
>
> Velocity 173FG
> N129VA
> Alexandria, VA
>
>
>
>
> On 1/10/12 4:40 PM, "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> Wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite weather APP?
>
> Lou Stedman
> Velocity SEFG
> N7044Q
> Olean, NY
>
> ------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120111/5c9225b7/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list