REFLECTOR: Flutter testing

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:40:55 CST 2012


I hate to say it Scott... But, taking two people into a flutter test doesn't sound reasonable to me... For safety...


Steve 

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:38:50 -0700
From: scott at tnstaafl.net
To: VelocityXL at fastmail.fm; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flutter testing



  


    
  
  
    I accidentally induced flutter in my winglets when trimming the
    plane for ball in the center, straight and level hands off flight..

    

    Didn't notice it at the time because it wouldn't happen until abave
    180 kias.  I found out over Vegas when approach gave me an immediate
    descent clearance for traffic. 

    

    After fixing I went through the whole flutter regime as you are
    doing up to 210 kias. A nervous test for sure.  I found out what was
    fluttering, felt like a dog shaking off water!, by having a friend
    ride with me while I dove to 180 kias. He could look around and see
    what it was(right winglet) shaking.  Its tough to do alone. 

    

    If your in phase one I think you could(I would) legally include a
    passenger for required co-pilot to help you figure out whats causing
    the vibration at 90kias.  Take somebody you implicitly trust.

    

    Scott

    

    

    -------- Original Message --------

    Subject: REFLECTOR: Flutter testing

    From: Ron N Velocity XLFG <VelocityXL at fastmail.fm>

    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
    <reflector at tvbf.org>

    Date: 02/17/2012 09:12 AM

    
      
      
      
       I am continuing my flight testing and
          have been doing some flutter testing. What I have been doing
          is 
      whacking the control stick to the front
          then  back then left then  right to see if I can induce
          flutter. So far no flutter up to 165 knots.
      I hate this part of the testing the plane
          is so responsive so when I wack the stick the plane does an
          very abrupt move.
      Bang my head once .  Ant one found a
          better way to induce flutter ?
       
      Second thing I have noticed at climb out
          at around 90 knots and start a bank turn I get a small
          vibration I think it is buffeting of the canard 
      any one else have this happen?
       
      Ron
      
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
    
    

    -- 
I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 		 	   		  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120217/d8d3e68a/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list