REFLECTOR: Circuit Breakers/Switches

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Feb 10 08:51:58 CST 2012


Doug,

There's a whole lot to be said for KISS.  Fuses are simple, cheap, easy to understand and troubleshoot.  The blade type are also fairly compact.

Scott

Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com> wrote:

>I like fuses. Simple, cheap.
>----- Original Message ----- 
>From: "Tom Falls" <tomfalls6 at gmail.com>
>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:41 PM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Circuit Breakers/Switches
>
>
>>I was hoping there was more experience with ztron and/or other solid state 
>>CB's. I like the size, price, weight and simplicity of this technology. I'm 
>>not inclined to jump on the ztron product until I know they can execute 
>>well. I'll hold off as long as I can before purchasing anything and keep 
>>researching and hoping ztron or someone else has a proven safe and reliable 
>>product.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
>>
>>> All this worry about solid state circuit breakers is kinduv funny 
>>> considering the all glass panel airplanes their are now!!!
>>>
>>> If you want to know what heats up I'd suggest you open up your PC  touch 
>>> edge of your CPU!  Have a burn kit handy!! ;-)  Because you are going to 
>>> get a major ouch!
>>>
>>> Silicon gets hot when you run enough current through it.  One of the 
>>> major limitations of CPU's now is heat dissipation.  Large server farms, 
>>> think Google, are mostly water cooled. Thats right water lines running 
>>> through the computers!
>>>
>>> Creating a resistor in silicon is just as easy as creating a power 
>>> transistor and diode, and those three items could make a handy basic 
>>> relay.
>>>
>>> I worked for a short time on the Dreamliner at Raytheon, on the Air Data 
>>> system, and I can assure you everything was solid state that had 
>>> electricity running through it.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>>> -------- Original Message --------
>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Circuit Breakers/Switches
>>> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Date: 02/09/2012 04:18 PM
>>>
>>>> Having worked with all the mechanical methodologies over the years I 
>>>> can't imagine how these SS breakers work. Particularly for that price. 
>>>> What heats up? What releases the circuit from power?? Relays? If so not 
>>>> good.
>>>> Very interesting nonetheless and maybe the next step. I'd want to know 
>>>> more before putting in my bird however.
>>>> I despise even the thought of an in flight fire...:(
>>>>
>>>> Mark B. Magee
>>>> Sent from IPhone 4
>>>>
>>>> On Feb 9, 2012, at 4:36 PM, Tom Falls<tomfalls6 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Well that's not encouraging. Anybody out there have good or bad 
>>>>> experience with solid state circuit breakers?
>>>>>
>>>>> Tom
>>>>>
>>>>> On Feb 9, 2012, at 3:19 PM, John Dibble<aminetech at bluefrog.com>  wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> It was my pitch trim relay.  The first time the output voltage got so 
>>>>>> low that the motor quit running.  Had to land with the trim in the 
>>>>>> full down
>>>>>> position.  The second time (new relay, same model) it began trimming 
>>>>>> up uncommanded.  I eliminated the relay and wired direct to the stick. 
>>>>>> Works fine.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> John
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Brian Michalk wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> What happened?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 2/9/2012 12:59 PM, John Dibble wrote:
>>>>>>>> Not familiar with these.  I've had bad luck with solid state relays 
>>>>>>>> and won't use them again.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> John
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Tom Falls wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> http://www.ztronlabs.com/products.php
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Anybody have experience or thoughts on these solid state circuit 
>>>>>>>>> breaker/switches? They seem simple, clean, light. The 8 channel 
>>>>>>>>> unit sells for $189.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Tom
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>>>>>> Check old archives: 
>>>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>>>>> Check old archives: 
>>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>>>> Check old archives: 
>>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>>> Check old archives: 
>>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>>
>>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>>
>>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>>
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> I would no more quarrel with a man because of his religion than I would 
>>> because of his art.
>>> Mary Baker Eddy
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list