REFLECTOR: KX 155 radio

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Dec 10 20:13:10 CST 2012


Thanks, Larry.  I'll visit the avionics shop.

John

On 12/10/2012 11:42 AM, Laurence Coen wrote:
> John,
>
> Yes, your NAV antenna can be checked.  Being a "ham" radio guy I have 
> the right stuff to do the job but so would an avionics shop. It sounds 
> like, from what you've said, that it is probably the antenna.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:00 PM
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: KX 155 radio
>
>> My KX 155 radio has 1100 hours and has recently developed an 
>> intermittent noise, mainly right after engine start, but sometimes 
>> persisting for a few hours.  The noise is identical to the constant 
>> noise when I pull out the volume knob for weak signals.  Another 
>> problem is that I'm not receiving VOR signals well.  I fly GPS 
>> direct, but monitor VOR's along my route as backup.  On the "TO" side 
>> I have nothing in the window and the needle is dead.  Once I pass by 
>> the VOR, I get a "FROM" indication in the window and the needle 
>> responds normally.  I sent my radio and my KI 209 cdi to an avionics 
>> shop.  They made some minor adjustments and indicated that both 
>> instruments were fine.  They told me that the closer the radio ground 
>> is to the battery, the better the sound quality.  So I ran both 
>> grounds right to the battery.  This significantly reduced the radio 
>> noise, but did not help the VOR reception.  I have only one nav, so I 
>> can't try another antenna.  Is there a way I can check my nav antenna 
>> so see if it's working properly?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list