REFLECTOR: Battery Advice

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 8 22:15:25 CST 2012


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rich Ervin" <rich_ervin at hotmail.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Battery Advice

> I have an airplane battery which was dead for 10 years, but had very
> little usage prior to that (only a month or so).

> I want to use this battery just for starting and possibly some slow-speed
> taxi work. I plan to order a new battery, but I'd like to continue
> working on this plane using the old battery until I'm ready to permanently
> install (and properly maintain) a new one.

> I've already tried charging it, and it didn't seem to take a lick.
> I only charged for about 15 or 20 minutes though - once on a
> medium speed charger, then connected to a car battery with the engine 
> running.

> Does anyone have a tip for reconditioning the battery for temporary use?

"I've already tried charging it, and it didn't seem to take a lick."  How 
much current were you pushing
into it?  What is a 'lick'?  What were you using for a load to test it after 
trying to charge it?

Did it need water added to bring the electrolyte level up above the plates?

Chances are that after 10 years sitting discharged that it is sulphated so 
badly that it is junk.  There are voodoo practioners out there that will 
tell you that you can de-sulphate a lead acid battery with high-current 
pulsing  or by adding aspirin to each cell... not likely.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ
 



More information about the Reflector mailing list