REFLECTOR: Again GPS Jamming/Spoofing

Mark Magee edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:16:53 CST 2012


Hi Don,
I hope you're right. There was no dramatic music when I lost GPS signal and NAV for 45 mins. Being a good 35 NM east of ELP when I regained signal runs counter to a short range nature of jamming/spoofing/messing with the GPS signal. I had to have been over 100NM from White Sands at that point. I'd be curious to know how many folks in GA and Commercial Aviation world wide on a daily, weekly, monthly basis have had to alter in some way their flight plans due to a loss of GPS signal for any reason. And what is the trend over time? That would be useful data.

Mark B. Magee
N34XL
Sent from IPhone 4S

On Dec 6, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> wrote:

> I remember reading about this when it was published... My first thought was that it was part of some reality TV series. You know, they take a non-event and play some dramatic music and then announce many people will die and mutant babies will be born because of this.
> 
> Here's my read on it: 
> 
> 1) The jammer (or spoofer) has to be close enough to over power the actual GPS signal.
> 2) It has to stay close enough during the flight to continue to over-power the GPS signal.
> 3) They will need to know what the intended path of the subject aircraft is.
> 4) The jammer has to send signals that will make the subject aircraft think it is on path while in reality it is being sent elsewhere.
> 
> Yeah, I'm not worried. 
> 
> -Don
> 
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 15:45:43 -0600
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Again GPS Jamming/Spoofing
> All, 
> Sorry, my last post for a while on this topic. If you didn't Google GPS Jamming and find this article, read this article:
> 
> http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/07/drone-hijacking/all/
> 
> 
> Mark B. Magee
> N34XL
> Brady TX
> 
> GPS Jamming Crusader....
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121207/64996f3e/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list