REFLECTOR: GPS outage, no big deal

Scott Baker scottb33333 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 17:29:53 CST 2012


http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/45743-gps-interruption.html

Similar GPS jamming tests were conducted earlier this year by the 
military that affected southeastern states.  The center of jamming 
activity took place several hundred miles off shore, and signal outages 
were expected from North Carolina to Florida.  Aircraft flying at higher 
(above 10,000') altitude were more vulnerable to GPS interruption than 
those flying at lower altitude.  During the test period, I did not 
notice GPS service interruptions in the Sebastian area.

Scott B.

On 12/2/2012 5:27 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:
> Mark,
>
>     I guess I'm on the other side of the fence. I think GPS jamming is 
> going to become less of an issue. A big part of the testing both you 
> and I have experienced that is going on at White Sands is to figure 
> out how to do pinpoint jamming in a war zone. Since we are both 
> skirting the edge of that test range we are experiencing the learning 
> process.
>
>     I thought I heard something to the effect that the FAA was going 
> to support the present VOR/ILS systems for another 20 years?   Kurt 
> could ask the systems guys at ABQ ARTCC, what they know?
>
> Like I said, 99% of people will never see jamming, because they are 
> not flying right next to a GPS Jamming test site.
>
> Anyway, its good to practice dead reconning!!! Though I agree its a 
> bit hair raising knowing your 5-10 miles from a NO WAY JOZE restricted 
> airspace!
>
>     I don't know what GR's INAV is, it's certainly not real Inertial 
> Navigation!
>
> Scott
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20121202/2d5f3401/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list