REFLECTOR: RivNut Installation Tools

Jones Nick nick.jones at volvo.com
Mon Aug 27 15:35:16 CDT 2012


I would recommend using a good keyed NAS rivnut instead of the ones shipped with the kit. They are made of harder aluminum, won't strip out as easily and resists spinning in the hole should the fastener become corroded in the barrel. They're a lot of fun to get out when they start spinning IMHO.

RIVNUTS FLAT HEAD from Aircraft Spruce<http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivnuts.php>

Best regards,

Nick and Connie Jones
Velocity XL-RG
N10CN
99% done 90% to go

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Bob Jackson (Jax Tech)
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 4:19 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders List
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: RivNut Installation Tools

Brett,

Here's the RivNut installation tool I would recommend (and an un-swaged RivNut, not to scale):

            [cid:image001.jpg at 01CD8471.F0313520]             [cid:image002.jpg at 01CD8471.F0313520]

This one is a Marson #39200 and is available through Grainger and others for ~$72

            http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MARSON-Plier-Style-Setting-Tool-5JK71

I've used tools similar to the one you show below for RivNuts and especially for Nutserts, but it would be VERY tedious, though probably manageable if you only need to do a few.  I don't like the simpler tools because it's so hard to hold them steady against the material and in the hole while turning the SOHC -- not to mention the number of times you'll snap the SOHC in two.  The result of a poor swag doesn't look very good and doesn't always hold very well, possibly allowing the RivNut/Nutsert to turn in the hole after installed.

The Marson tool does the swaging in one squeeze of the handles and creates a very professional result.  If you get the better tool, I'll promise you that you'll find many other uses for RivNuts in your plane (and maybe around your house or car).  Thanks for you interest in the mount.

Bob
________________________________
From: Brett Ferrell [mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm]<mailto:[mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm]>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 2:20 PM
To: Bob Jackson (Jax Tech)
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: My New Youtube Video

I don't, but I assume this one in the 8-32 size would suffice?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivet-nut-installation-tools/=j183tn

Easily install knurled and standard rivet nuts as well as rivet nut inserts with these manual installation tools. Each includes two mandrels per thread size. Use with steel, aluminum, and stainless steel rivet nuts and nut inserts. Use a 7/8" wrench (not included) to hold the tool and a 11/16" ratchet (not included) to tighten the nut.


[http://images1.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/96349ap1l.png?ver=19927904]
--
Brett Ferrell
bferrell at fastmail.fm<mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm>


On Mon, Aug 27, 2012, at 02:05 PM, Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) wrote:

RivNuts and all hardware are included in the kit, but if you don't already have a RivNut 'Thread Setter' tool, you'll need one of them.  I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.



________________________________

From: Brett Ferrell [mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm]<mailto:[mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm]>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 1:50 PM
To: Bob Jackson (Jax Tech)
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: My New Youtube Video



I would love a couple of quick pictures.  I assume the rivnuts are not included in the kit?  I'll order a mount when I get home, the proxy at work is acting up and I can't get to your order page.



Brett



--
Brett Ferrell
bferrell at fastmail.fm<mailto:bferrell at fastmail.fm>





On Mon, Aug 27, 2012, at 01:42 PM, Bob Jackson (Jax Tech) wrote:

Hello Brett,



No problemo -- just (8) 8-32 RivNuts -- leaving only very professional looking RivNut female flanges when the mounts are not attached, which can be filled with round headed 8-32's painted to match the original paint color, if you like.  It's very 'utilitarian' and makes people ask what they're for -- if they bother to look under your wings (which most people do not!).



RivNuts are a 'blind installed' part, mounted through a single drilled hole and swaged in place (with a tool similar to a rivet gun) forming a strong second flange behind the skin, only the original flange on the outside, and the female threads inside.  No skin is removed and no hard point is added, but we do coat the inside of the foam with a micro-slurry just before we swag them in.  Alternatively, you could hollow out some extra foam through the original drilled hole, fill it completely with a thick slurry, let it dry then re-drill it before swaging in the RivNuts.  So far, this has not been necessary and I've flight and flutter tested the mounts to 250 KIAS and 6 G's.



It is a little 'nervy' at first, thinking about drilling holes in your new paint job -- since it took me a full year to paint our plane, I was also a bit hesitant about using the RivNuts, but they make it a very sturdy mount that is equally easy to remove.  Maybe I'll take and post a couple of pictures of just the RivNuts installed in the skin if you're interested...



Bob



________________________________

From: Brett Ferrell [mailto:reflector at velocityxl.com]<mailto:[mailto:reflector at velocityxl.com]>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 12:28 PM
To: reflector
Cc: bobj at jaxtechllc.com<mailto:bobj at jaxtechllc.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: My New Youtube Video



Bob,



How are you actually making that attachment to the wing, though?  I would love to use one of your mounts, but I don't want to ruin my paint!



I have, in the past, used these threaded inserts<http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-inserts/=j16lxo> effectively where there weren't high loads, but I wonder if drilling the exterior hole, removing some foam, and floxing these in would be adequate?  I'd rather not have removing the outer skin and laying up some BID say on top of a hardpoint, or points, and then repaint.

Brett

________________________________



________________________________

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com>
Version: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5227 - Release Date: 08/27/12

________________________________
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com>
Version: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5227 - Release Date: 08/27/12
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120827/c9b8dbd5/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 4612 bytes
Desc: image001.jpg
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120827/c9b8dbd5/attachment-0002.jpg>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image002.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 1403 bytes
Desc: image002.jpg
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120827/c9b8dbd5/attachment-0003.jpg>


More information about the Reflector mailing list