REFLECTOR: Alcohol for cleaning glass surfaces

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Mon Aug 27 13:49:14 CDT 2012


Reflector,

I've been using denatured alcohol (mostly ethanol) to wipe down fiberglass surfaces after sanding. I ran out this weekend. I have access at work to an endless supply of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I'd like to know if I can use them interchangeably.

I could not find any mention of alcohol in the Velocity manuals, just: "if grease or oil is present wipe with acetone." Many of the composite builder websites mention using denatured alcohol. The Cirrus manual indicates isopropyl alcohol is the only approved cleaning agent for glass repairs. AC 43.13-1B just indicates to use an "acceptable cleanser to remove dust and moisture" - that's a big help!

Any thoughts on denatured vs isopropyl?


Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
Velocity XL-RG, 35% complete
Currently working on: Rudder cables


The Velocity Builders' Virtual Hangar<https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f>. Available 24/7 for builders and owners:
https://liveconferencepro.com/guest/loginguest.php?id=d3a73e710c719626dd353d3b101be90f


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120827/814bd674/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list