REFLECTOR: Update on left roll tendency
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 12:04:15 CDT 2012
Yeah, at this point I haven't put much extra weight in the plane while I'm
getting used to flying it. There's no doubt that my roll trim is weak
and/or ineffective and needs improvement. I'll work on that first as it
should be better regardless.
Geoff
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Richard J. Gentil <
richard at naples-air-center.com> wrote:
> If you put an additional 220lbs in the plane I recommend under the rear
> seat as close to the center of gravity as possible. I would not want to be
> close to the forward edge of the CG envelope this early in the test flying.
>
> Richard.
>
> Sent from my iPhone 4 Classic
>
> On Aug 27, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Clayton Chase <chasec at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried putting 220lb in the other side of the aircraft to see
> > if that straightens the flight out? It's a cheap and easy test to
> > see if the asymmetrical weight is causing the roll.
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Geoff Gerhardt
> > <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> All,
> >>
> >> I talked to Scott Swing at Velocity regarding my left roll tendency.
> His
> >> advice was to improve the roll trim and gave a few suggestions. One
> thing
> >> he reminded me of is that my large, 220lb ass is the only one in the
> plane
> >> (my words, not his). That alone will introduce a left roll tendency
> that a
> >> weak roll trim system may not trim out.
> >>
> >> I have not touched the roll trim system since doing a rather cursory
> >> install. After installing it, when I adjust the roll trim, it has
> little to
> >> no effect on the aileron position. It moves the string and the springs
> a
> >> bit, but doesn't impart much force on the bell crank. My theory was
> that I
> >> wanted to get the plane so that on a calm day, it would fly essentially
> >> straight with little stick pressure needed. Then, I'd improve the roll
> trim
> >> as necessary. I was not accounting for the need for roll trim due to
> the
> >> loading asymmetry of one large pilot.
> >>
> >> So, this all may be much adieu about nothing. I will improve my roll
> trim
> >> and see if that solves the issue.
> >>
> >> Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how an improved
> >> roll trim helps.
> >>
> >> Geoff
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> >> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120827/9fe2a3c9/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list