REFLECTOR: 4th test flight - roll tendency persists

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sat Aug 25 19:02:39 CDT 2012


Geoff,

My aileron trim didn't work well.  The string kept slipping on the 
capstan.  I improved it by putting a piece of the soft rubber tubing ( I 
forget the name, but it's a light tan color and comes in only one size 
at the hardware store) on the capstan and then replacing part of the 
string with a vacuum cleaner belt going over the capstan.

John

On 8/24/2012 7:38 PM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I went on my fourth test flight this afternoon.  Still have 
> butterflies before the flight and check things over like I have OCD 
> (yes, the canard bolts are still there, for the fourth time...).
>
> Dealing with a few issues now that I've left the pattern and brought 
> it up to speed.  I noticed on the third flight that it wants to roll 
> to the left.  This is not a yaw (ball's in the center), but a definite 
> roll that requires right pressure on the stick to fly level at 140kts 
> (more pressure for higher speed).  Aileron trim isn't enough to take 
> it out.  On that third flight, when I was flying level at 140ks by 
> using right stick pressure, when I looked back I could see that the 
> trailing edges of both ailerons were a little higher than the wing. 
>  So, before the fourth flight, I drooped both down so they were ~1/8" 
> below the wing (they were level before at rest), but this did not have 
> much effect on the roll tendency (although the ailerons were level or 
> drooping at speed).  It definitely seems to be an aileron issue.  When 
> I'm flying level (using right stick pressure), the ailerons seem to be 
> in an equal position.  Letting the stick go, the right aileron comes 
> up, left down and it rolls.  Any other ideas on things to check?
>
> Slow flight went very well, nice control down to 60kts.  Easy 180 
> turn, then back the other way holding altitude.
>
> Geoff
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120825/6c759f90/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list