REFLECTOR: Pilots report cockpit power failures + a feel good story.

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Thu Aug 23 17:14:11 CDT 2012


I used to loose my GPS for brief periods.  Turned out the antenna ground 
was loose.

John

On 8/23/2012 3:12 PM, jerry at jlbent.com wrote:
> Something to consider - It might be heat related.  You could check to 
> see if the system has a heat protection circuit
> Jerry Brainard
> Jerry at JLBEnt.com
>
>
>
> 	-------Original Message-------
> From: Andrew Judge
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pilots report cockpit power failures + a feel 
> good story.
> Sent: Aug 23 '12 2:40pm
>
> I have the D10A and EMS D10. I use the EMS as a CDI for approaches on 
> a GNS430W. Maybe I have a bad one, but on occasion (at least 5 times) 
> it has blanked out on me. It appears to be a lighting issue in the 
> display as it comes back relatively quickly (5-30 seconds). It's never 
> happened on an approach, but it is annoying. I always tune in the 
> LOC/ILS when it's available. I am almost considering replacing it, but 
> I suspect I'll have another panel in a few years once the G3X is 
> succeeded.
>
> Andy
> ________________________________________
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org 
> <http://mbox.jlbent.com/compose.php?to=reflector-bounces@tvbf.org> 
> [reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] on behalf of Ruben Creus [ruben at vainneg.com]
> Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:58 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pilots report cockpit power failures + a feel 
> good      story.
>
> I only have Dynon screens in my airplane, and flying IFR all the time with
> no issue. It is true that I took my IFR ticket with a Garmin1000 so it
> wasn't hard at all when I jumped in my Velo.
>
> I little trick that I do is to use a Digital panel for a Velocity model on
> Flight Simulator at home, so I can get used to simulate IFR trips and read
> that digital numbers.
>
> Ruben
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Ullman [mailto:ullman at robustdecisions.com]
> Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:02 AM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org 
> <http:%21%0A%20//mbox.jlbent.com/compose.php?to=reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Pilots report cockpit power failures + a feel good
> story.
>
> Last week I did my first biannual in the Velo with only a glass panel
> (Dynon). Previous biannuals were in planes equipped with steam gages. I
> never had any trouble flying instruments only (I am VFR only) and the CFI
> could put the plane in any situation and I could get it on course and
> altitude easily.  Last week the CFI had me put on the hood and I could not
> really control the plane at all. I was simply not processing the 
> information
> from the Dynon very well and over correcting.  I was all over the sky.
> Ouch!!
>
> The CFI asked what I would do if I flew into the soup accidently.  I told
> him that first I was going to practice situational awareness with the 
> Dynon.
> Second, for now, I would push the AP button (a! utopilot), let it get 
> me on
> course and altitude and control the plane through the autopilot. But 
> if the
> AP goes out and I am in the soup my backup is the virtual six pack on the
> Garmin GPS (both the Dynon and Garmin have back up batteries).  I need 
> to do
> a lot of practicing with both of these.
>
> On another topic.
> About four years ago, on the Reflector, there was an advertisement for a
> Velocity and IO-360 from the estate of Jack Hayes.  He had passed away and
> his son, Tom was trying to find a home for his dad's projects.  I 
> bought the
> engine and then about a year or so ago, Geoff Gerhardt bought the 
> airframe.
> Geoff flew for the first time last weekend.  I sent the Hayes family a 
> note
> that included ".... the engine now has 50 flight hours on it, having its
> first flight earlier this year, and the airframe did the first flight this
> weekend.  Your father's project did make it into the air,! partly in 
> Oregon
> and partly in Mass."
>
> Tom Hayes wrote back
> "   I can't tell you how happy I was to get your email. I have told my Mom
> and we both started crying. Words can not describe how happy we are with
> your  news and Geoff's news. We know that my Dad is looking down and is
> smiling that his project has finally taken flight. Geoff has a web 
> site that
> I have been checking periodically and will show it to her this weekend so
> she can watch his flight videos.
>
>    Again, thank you for the wonderfull news and happy flying to you both.
>
>
> Tom Hayes and family."
>
> A feel good story made on the Reflector
>
>
> David Ullman
> N444DX
> President EAA 292
> 541-754-3609
> david at davidullman.com 
> <http://mbox.jlbent.com/compose.php?to=david@davidullman.com>
>
>
>
>
> _________________________________! ______________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120823/b1ba2d0a/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list