REFLECTOR: Turbo concerns
Chris Barber
cbarber at texasattorney.net
Mon Aug 20 21:11:26 CDT 2012
Have not checked EGT but I will.
Sent from my iPhone 4
On Aug 20, 2012, at 9:09 PM, "Kerry Woods" <kwoods241 at att.net> wrote:
> Chris,
> It would seem that your turbo is nothing but a restriction for the motor. Having the lower MP and RPM with it on, does the turbo spin freely? What was your egt running before and after?
> Kerry
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Barber" <cbarber at texasattorney.net>
> To: "REFLECTOR" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 8:18 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Turbo concerns
>
>
>>
>> As I have mentioned I have had what I think are incongruent readings regarding my manifold pressure (mp)and engine rpm. It seems I am getting quite low mp as I add power to higher rpm.
>>
>> I am not well versed in this area but my thought is that as I add power, even with slight boost (currently using a 3 lb spring in my wastegate) eventually my mp should raise a bit more.
>>
>> Today I did some static test. I recorded engine RPM with the turbo hooked up and recorded the mp at 1000 rpm increments. Then I removed the turbo plumbing from my intake and recorded the same info My results currently confuse me.
>>
>> With the turbo hooked up I am getting
>>
>> RPM. MP inches
>> 2000 - 14.0
>> 3000 - 15.5
>> 4000 - 19.3
>> 5000 - 21.6
>> 5700 - 24.5 (topped out)
>>
>> With the turbo removed.
>>
>> 2000 - 15.8
>> 3000 - 15.3
>> 4000 - 19.7
>> 5000 - 24.8
>> 5833 - 29.8
>>
>> Is this indicative of restriction in my plumbing? Perhaps in the inter cooler? A dirty air filter? A bad pop off valve or a leak not allowing the air pressure getting to the intake. Or????
>>
>> I am uncertain what other permitters I need to check and provide. I am just starting my diagnosis in my Phase One testing. I only have 1.6 hours in the air so far. I value ya'll's direction and input.
>>
>> Heck, perhaps this is working properly but it just doesn't seem right/comfortable.
>>
>> Thanks folks.
>>
>> Chris Barber
>> Houston
>> Velocity SE
>> Rotary 13b turbo (?) :-)
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone 4
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list