REFLECTOR: Anyone flying a STD-RG with a single, rear mounted oil cooler?
Dave T Nelson
dtnelson at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 20 14:22:04 CDT 2012
Winter is coming here in Minnesota, and so I'm thinking about what I want
to plan for winter projects. Klaus Savier has been after me for years to
get rid of my nose mounted oil cooler and go to a single oil cooler in the
rear.
My current setup is with the roof mounted NACAs, and one "standard" cooler
(in the nose). My CHTs are reliably all low, particularly in cruise where
my highest cylinder will be at around 340 (with the lowest as low as 260).
My oil temp is reliably around 200 - 210 in cruise on a warm day, and less
than 200 on a cool day. My issue is in long climbs. I regularly fly out
to the mountains, and also I like to go high (16K or more) when the winds
favor. In a full power sustained climb, say from takeoff to 12K, if I'm
not careful I can easily get the oil to redline.
So, in net, my cruise temps are fine, but my climb oil temp could be
improved.
Klaus is after me to move the oil cooler for drag reduction (not oil temp).
The large "NACA" in the nose along with the outlet ramp represents a
sizeable amount of drag. Less Drag = More Speed = Klaus.
So... winter is coming, and I'm thinking of moving the cooler to get better
cooling and to reduce drag. But, before I get into a big mess...
What experience is out there regarding STD-RG IO-360 Velocities with a
single oil cooler in the back?
Thanks!
Dave
Dave T. Nelson
STD-RG N22DN
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120820/86a9e8eb/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list