REFLECTOR: Second flight
Geoff Gerhardt
geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:08:35 CDT 2012
I'm not sure if my prop is a new design or not. I rec'd it about a year
ago, so I guess its probably the older design. That's a lot of good info,
tho, thanks. I will get out this week and do a longer cruise climb and see
what it will do for top end cruise, as well. I talked to Craig this
morning, he wanted to see some of the airspeed/RPM numbers before we do
anything.
Geoff
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Dennis Martin <dennis.doc at gmail.com>wrote:
> Thanks for the details on your Catto, Ruben. Take offs are no problem,
> butI'm having trouble getting enough speed at full throttle. I'll get back
> after talking with Craig - maybe that new design prop is what I need.
>
> Dennis
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Ruben Creus <ruben at vainneg.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>> Geoff, ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Mine is a SE-FG with and IO-360. The numbers you are giving here sound
>> pretty much a similar experience I have. In the last couple of years I have
>> been back and forth with Catto, I have used 3 different props. Cruise, and
>> Climb props ranging my static from 1,900 to 2,200rpm, and take of distance
>> from 1,500ft to 2,500ft., climb rate from 300-500ft./m to 700-1000ft.m and
>> cruising from 130KTAS to 150KTAS.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> The conclusion is that there has to be a compromise, when you use a fix
>> prop. You can get climb in sacrifice of speed or speed in sacrifice of
>> climb, but the good news is that last year Catto came our with a new prop
>> design. It looks much fatter than normal from the bottom than the top, and
>> also the blade is kind of twisted more aggressively than a normal prop.
>> With this design, the range of sacrifice between climb or cruise seems to
>> have been reduced a lot. ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I got one of these new designed props and it improve my take of distance
>> and climb rate without scarify almost any cruising, maybe a couple of
>> knots. My take off roll out can rage between 1,600 to 2,200 depending on
>> temperature and weight. In a cold day by myself I can be in the air pretty
>> quick, in the summer and with full weight, I always count a minim safe
>> distance of 2,500 and if there are trees around, I aim for a minimum of
>> 3,000ft runways. Climb again it depends a lot on temperature and weight. In
>> the winter at full weight and climb at 700ft/ with no problem, in the
>> summer and full weight 300ft/m with DA of 4000’ is the max I can get making
>> planning for take off and important thing, but when I am up in the air at
>> flat level I easily get the 145Ktas cruising speed at 2450rpm. I guess with
>> a retract you would get at least 10 to 15 more than that.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Do you know what type of prop do you have? The old one, or the new design?
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> *Ruben G. Creus*
>>
>> Ë +1.571.215.0025****
>>
>> * ruben at vainneg.com****
>>
>> ****
>>
>> ** **
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> *From:* Geoff Gerhardt [mailto:geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com]
>> *Sent:* Monday, August 20, 2012 7:50 AM
>> *To:* ****Velocity** Aircraft Owners and Builders list**
>> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Second flight****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Guys,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I spent Sunday morning fixing a few issues that were identified in the
>> first flight, then took her out for a second flight this afternoon. I
>> think I'm going to have to send my prop back to Craig to have it
>> re-pitched, but I'd like to hear your input. There's a link below to a
>> post on my website that shows the flight video as well as a CloudAhoy
>> analysis (if you're not familiar with CloudAhoy, its a very cool app for
>> recording a flight). With just me on board and only ~20gal of fuel, I need
>> ~2200' of runway to lift off (DA 2000'), then I have to stay low to build
>> up some speed to start my climb. Once I can get to 90-100kts, I can climb
>> ok, but I feel a bit unsure about flying into any 3000' runways with only
>> 800' of wiggle room, particularly if there's any trees past the runway. My
>> prop is currently 66x74. Have a look at the video and CloudAloft and let
>> me know how this compares to your experience with a fixed-pitch prop.****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Here's a link to the post on my website that describes the second flight
>> and videos.****
>>
>> http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=513 ****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> Geoff****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> --
> All the best,
> Dennis
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120820/6c65f747/attachment.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list