REFLECTOR: Second flight

Ron N VelocityXLFG velocityxl at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 20 09:32:36 CDT 2012


I have a fixed pitch prop that  works great at take off but not quite 
the top speed I would like.
If it was me I would fly it for a while to see how it preforms before 
getting it cut down.
You may find you like the extra top speed. I wish my prop had more top 
end. I plan on making another
prop for more top end. I can only trim the prop down to add to the take 
off performance unfortunately
I can not add to the prop to get better top speed. I am sure that is 
why  Catto usually over props till it is tested

My 2 cents

Ron

On 8/20/2012 8:47 AM, Geoff Gerhardt wrote:
> Scott,
>
> My static is 2050RPM.  I don't have RPM at the other airspeeds in my 
> head, but I have the data log from the flights at home and can 
> retrieve them tonight.  I talked to Craig a few weeks ago, and he 
> indicated a static of 2050RPM was to be expected for that prop/engine 
> combo.  He cuts a "longer" prop for an RG than a FG to allow for more 
> top end with a cleaner plane.  I haven't wound it up to go past 
> 120kts, yet.  Now that I know it flies ok, I'll head out this week and 
> take it up to altitude to see how it does in cruise.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Geoff
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net 
> <mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net>> wrote:
>
>     Geoff,
>
>         I've tuned 3 props with Cato, IO360, TIO520 and IO520.  Never
>     flew the TIO520.
>
>         Whats your RPM at static, 50KIAS, 90 KIAS, 120KIAS, 160KIAS??
>
>         The static and 50KIAS are the most important for takeoff
>     performance.
>
>     Scott
>
>
>
>     -------- Original Message --------
>     Subject: REFLECTOR: Second flight
>     From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
>     To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>     <reflector at tvbf.org> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>     Date: 08/20/2012 05:50 AM
>>     Guys,
>>
>>     I spent Sunday morning fixing a few issues that were identified
>>     in the first flight, then took her out for a second flight this
>>     afternoon.  I think I'm going to have to send my prop back to
>>     Craig to have it re-pitched, but I'd like to hear your input.
>>      There's a link below to a post on my website that shows the
>>     flight video as well as a CloudAhoy analysis (if you're not
>>     familiar with CloudAhoy, its a very cool app for recording a
>>     flight).  With just me on board and only ~20gal of fuel, I need
>>     ~2200' of runway to lift off (DA 2000'), then I have to stay low
>>     to build up some speed to start my climb.  Once I can get to
>>     90-100kts, I can climb ok, but I feel a bit unsure about flying
>>     into any 3000' runways with only 800' of wiggle room,
>>     particularly if there's any trees past the runway.  My prop is
>>     currently 66x74.  Have a look at the video and CloudAloft and let
>>     me know how this compares to your experience with a fixed-pitch prop.
>>
>>     Here's a link to the post on my website that describes the second
>>     flight and videos.
>>     http://thegerhardts.com/velocity/?p=513
>>
>>     Geoff
>>
>>
>>
>>     _______________________________________________
>>     To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>     Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>     Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>>     Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>     -- 
>     Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.
>     Eckhart Tolle
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120820/77a40ff2/attachment.html>


More information about the Reflector mailing list