REFLECTOR: Nose wheel
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 22:06:27 CDT 2012
Hi David,
I have experienced exactly what you did and with similar results. You need
to scan the archive using shimmy as your search term. This is a
multi-faceted problem: nose gear strut bumper mod/tire and wheel balance
and shimmy dampener torque. Don't put nose pant on until all of these
corrected. I bent a nose strut as well from this condition.
Mark Magee
N34XL
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:15 PM, David Ullman <ullman at robustdecisions.com>wrote:
> A question: I have had little trouble with nose wheel shimmy. Once in a
> while I will excite it, but not often. I have recently added my wheel
> pants
> and all seemed well until the other day. I took off and after climbing to
> 2500 ft and leveling off, I noticed a significant yaw. I could see and
> feel
> it, and the ball was like three diameters to the right. I looked around
> and checked my rudders and they were fine, so I assumed my nose wheel was
> cocked and acting like a rudder. By this time I was near home, had full
> control over the crab I was flying so I continued back.
>
> On landing I put the nose wheel down gently and it whipped back and forth
> so
> hard it tore off the back section of the faring. On .later checking, the
> screws holding it to the front half were in the same state they had been,
> the force just tore out the holes. I checked the side force on the wheel
> and it feels about right (I don't have a scale), near 10-15 pounds at the
> axel.
>
> Thinking back, another flight had a slight yaw that I had to trim out.
>
> Needless to say the entire front faring is off now and isn't going back on
> until I have some plan.
>
> So, the question: what is happening here? Have other experienced this?
>
> David Ullman
> N444DX
> President EAA 292
> 541-754-3609
> david at davidullman.com
>
> ****************************************
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120815/cf386425/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list