REFLECTOR: Insurance advice needed
Andrew Judge
ajudge at grovenetworks.com
Fri Aug 3 15:47:23 CDT 2012
I've done the VFR corridor a few times. Pretty neat. You can see it in my Velocity on youtube.com if you search for N55AJ on youtube. My radio work stinks there, but it might help to listen to the traffic. I had the camera tied into the audio panel so you can hear how they make position calls in reference to local sites.
Andy
From: Ruben Creus [mailto:ruben at vainneg.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 04:33 PM
To: geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Insurance advice needed
I did the NY VFR corridor a couple of times, day time and night time, and fully recommend it!!! With the new procedures and altitudes it is very safe and fun. Remember that for you fly the corridor you need to take the FAA safety online course, pass the quiz, and print out the card and carry with you while in the air, otherwise if something happens and if you do not have the piece of paper with you, you could get in trouble.
Ruben G. Creus
Ë +1.571.215.0025
• ruben at vainneg.com<mailto:ruben at vainneg.com>
________________________________
From: Geoff Gerhardt [mailto:geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2012 3:40 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Insurance advice needed
All,
Thanks for your responses. I have taken your collective advice and have booked an Arrow for Saturday and Sunday morning. I'll knock out 5hrs in a couple cross countries - might even head for the NY VFR corridor, I haven't done that yet (or should I save that flight for the Velocity...?). It will also be good to fly the pattern I'll be taking on the first flight and identify potential emergency landing sites (unfortunately, there's not too much of those here in well forested/populated MA).
Geoff
On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net<mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net>> wrote:
They are worried that you will kill a passenger,put yourself in the hospital or run into somebody's house.
5 hours in an Arrow or 210 or Bonanza would be great practice. they all, including the V have similar approach numbers. Make no flap landings.
If 5 hours in an Arrow would make your performance in a V any worse, you don't have nearly enough time under your belt and should consider hiring a transition trainer for your first 10 or so hours in the V.
Scott
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: REFLECTOR: Insurance advice needed
From: Geoff Gerhardt <geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com><mailto:geoff.gerhardt at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org><mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 07/31/2012 05:18 PM
Guys,
I have my airworthiness inspection schedule for next week, got my complex endorsement then went down to Velocity a few weeks ago for transition training (went great, John's a great instructor), so first flight is in sight. I had some bad news from my Avemco rep. I've had builders insurance with them for awhile and had talked to them last week about transitioning to flight insurance, liability only. Fine, they said, everything was in order after I relayed all my info. But, today I got a call and my rep said I need another 5hrs in retract time before they'll insure me. Just go out in an Arrow for 5hrs, he says, and you'll be good.
A couple things - no, 5hrs in an Arrow after coming off Velocity transition training and I'll be worse. It took about 5 landings to get out slow landing, aileron control on final mode and into 85kt final, all rudders. Five hours in an Arrow right before my first flight would not be a good idea. Secondly, why do they care about my time in a retract for liability insurance? Landing wheels up doesn't do a lot of damage to the runway. Sorry, just venting.
Anyway, I'm considering my options now. Fly without insurance for the first 5hrs? Does anyone know any other insurance companies for low-time retract pilots (I have 5hrs retract time)?
Geoff
173RG
http://thegerhardts.com/velocity
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery<http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail<http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
J. R. R. Tolkien
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120803/341d8f84/attachment-0001.html>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list