REFLECTOR: seats

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Apr 16 15:37:33 CDT 2012


Don't confuse apples and oranges.  What you say is very true for 
standard Velos, but XLs tend to be nose heavy.

John

On 4/16/2012 3:15 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
> Don't move anything back.  Move as much as possible to the front.  If 
> you want to fly solo, and you've moved things back, you'll need to 
> carry ballast.
>
> Two big guys in the front is just fine.  Anything not in the front 
> seats is so close to the CG anyway that they really only add to the 
> max weight.
>
> On 4/16/2012 1:47 PM, Reiff Lorenz wrote:
>>
>> Bill,
>>
>> Your seats look terrific! I like the combination of the automotive 
>> hinge/recliner and the lighter Velocity seat pans. May I ask what 
>> Oregon Aero and the local shop charged to pad and cover them?
>>
>> I've attached a photo of my first attempt at installing the Corbeau 
>> seats. I made a temporary seat bracket out of hardware-store angle 
>> aluminum. The back is too low and the front is too high, so I'll be 
>> re-making it, this time with 6061 aluminum and AN-hardware. I'd 
>> welcome any tips that you or others have for me. (What's the best way 
>> to cut angle aluminum? My band saw is slow & loud.)
>>
>> I don't think forward CG will be a big issue for me. My wife and I 
>> are both small and we're moving the panel, stick, (and maybe pedals) 
>> aft an inch. It's always hard to tell at this point in construction 
>> if there will be W&B issues, but I'm currently more worried about aft 
>> CG issues with single pilot and full fuel.
>>
>> Despite all that, I'm really glad that you sent the photo and 
>> description of your seats. Until you described your installation, I 
>> didn't have a good plan B to my Corbeau attempts. I also like your 
>> under-seat storage. That's ingenious!
>>
>> Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH
>>
>> XL-RG, 31% complete
>>
>> Installing the RG pulleys and making seat brackets
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org> 
>> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of William Walker
>> Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:14 PM
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: seats
>>
>> Reiff,
>>
>> You'll probably regret the Corbeau decision down the road. Most 
>> current Velocities run out of forward CG before they run out of 
>> useful load. That extra 35 lbs is way forward of the CG.
>>
>> Besides, there is almost no side-loading in aircraft, and although 
>> the Velocity seat pans look Plain-Jane, you would be amazed at how 
>> someone like Oregon Aero can make them feel wonderful. Wiggle room is 
>> very much appreciated after 2+ hrs in this type aircraft.
>>
>> I looked at numerous options, even automotive seats, and came up with 
>> this solution:
>>
>> Factory seat pans, Mazda Miata (circa 2002) outer hinges, factory 
>> inner hinges, some creative fitment engineering, Oregon Aero seat 
>> foams, local interior shop, and could not be happier. They look and 
>> feel like factory car seats, they fold forward for easy access to the 
>> rear seats, and the seat backs can be adjusted rearward by the hinge 
>> lever in easily duplicated notches. (They can also lay all the way 
>> back and down if you ever have to sleep in your plane or have the 
>> need to engage the autopilot and travel rearward to diagnose wayward 
>> gear problems).
>>
>> Let me know if you are interested and I'll take a few photos and a 
>> video to send to you.
>>
>> Bill Walker
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visithttp://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!www.tvbf.org/gallery  <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives:www.tvbf.org/pipermail  <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>> Check old archives:http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120416/2314e19a/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/png
Size: 447800 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120416/2314e19a/attachment-0001.png>


More information about the Reflector mailing list