REFLECTOR: spinner and Howard Handelman
John Dibble
aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Apr 11 08:44:42 CDT 2012
David,
David,
I've flown with and without a spinner and don't see any difference.
Here's what I did to improve my approaches. First, get at a comfortable
altitude and determine your power setting to get 90 kn and 500 fpm
descent. Then, when abeam the numbers in the pattern, cut power to idle
until you slow to 90 kn/500 fpm. Then add your predetermined power
setting and leave it there until you have the runway made, then cut
power. It's also important to keep your pattern distance consistent. I
set up the final approach course in my gps and use the cdi to indicate
where 1 mile from the approach course is to establish my desired
position when down wind.
John
On 4/11/2012 7:17 AM, David Ullman wrote:
> Anyone have a feel for the effect of adding a spinner on a Velocity? I have
> a Catto prop on an SE. I can get a spinner from Chris Wade for $325. He
> claims better cooling (so far not a problem with my plane, but it isn't
> summer yet). Any effect (positive) on speed? Any thoughts on "bullet" or
> "stinger" style. Stinger has a long tip that looks like a pitot tube
> sticking out of the spinner (if on a tractor airplane).
>
> I almost like the "business end" look on my plane without a spinner.
>
> Flight test continues around that fact that weather is still iffy. Working
> on getting speed under control on final. Still very high, long and fast.
> Better than the alternative. Takeoff distance with 200hp IO 360 C1C, a Catto
> prop, half a tank of gas, 50 deg at near sea level, me (220lb) and 100lb
> copilot ballast is about 1700-2000 ft. Seems about right with this prop.
>
> Also, I ordered the Dynon autopilot servos. When I get them in and working
> I will start running Howard Handelman's process for determining the exact
> characteristics of the plane. See
> http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2009-08_drag.asp. It would be
> interesting if a group of us did this to compare plane characteristics. Any
> interest?
>
> Finally, I will be in Phoenix later today and will be visiting with Matt
> Bucko to see his progress.
>
> David Ullman
> N-444DX Velocity
> EAA 292 President
> david at davidullman.com
> 541-754-3609
> 1655 NW Hillcrest Dr
> Corvallis OR 97330
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list