REFLECTOR: Nose gear gas strut

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Apr 6 12:41:07 CDT 2012


If the spring is too strong, it may not allow the gear to drop down 
during the emergency gear down procedure.

John

On 4/6/2012 12:12 PM, Don Johnston wrote:
> Dump valve works perfectly.
>
> Once the nose gear is down, one finger is all it takes to get it over 
> center.
>
> So the extra 10lbs would be enough. I may go with 65-70lbs depending 
> on what's available.
>
> -Don
>
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net <mailto:scott at tnstaafl.net>>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org 
> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>>
> Cc:
> Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:53:14 -0600
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nose gear gas strut
> Actually it sounds like the strut is fine.
>
> gas strut pushes 50 lbs? thats pretty close to spec on those things.  
> 10 lbs would push it over center if the pressure was released.
>
> I think something is binding or possibly a hydraulic issue.  Maybe 
> your release valve is plumbed incorrectly?
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose gear gas strut
> From: Don Johnston <numa at comcast.net> <mailto:numa at comcast.net>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 04/06/2012 10:19 AM
> Okay. Now I'm getting somewhere. :-)
>
> With the nose gear hydraulic cylinder disconnected, the nose gear goes 
> overcenter every time. So I don't think it's a binding issue.
>
> I pulled the gas strut and checked it on the bathroom scale and it's 
> only showing 50lbs during the compression stroke.
>
> So I guess it's off to NAPA. :-)
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> -Don
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120406/f11050ab/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list