REFLECTOR: N929X in Sport Aviation

Reiff Lorenz Reiff at Lorenz.com
Wed Apr 4 13:39:26 CDT 2012



Mark,



Congrats! Very exciting.



I've attached a copy of the article for anyone who has not yet seen it.



Reiff Lorenz, Dayton, OH

XL-RG, 30% complete

Working on installing Corbeau seats









[cid:image001.png at 01CD126B.FA21EB60]



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Mark Riley
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:48 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 85, Issue 4 N929X in Sport Aviation



Our Velocity XL, N929X, finally made an appearance in this month's Sport Aviation magazine. Check it out at page 91 of the April issue. I dreamed about seeing this little article for years.



Mark





On Apr 2, 2012, at 10:50 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:



> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to

>             reflector at tvbf.org

>

> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

>             http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

>             reflector-request at tvbf.org

>

> You can reach the person managing the list at

>             reflector-owner at tvbf.org

>

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."

>

>

> Today's Topics:

>

>   1. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Scott Derrick)

>   2. Re:  Reflector Digest, Vol 85, Issue 3 interior pictures

>      (Mark Riley)

>   3. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Brian Michalk)

>

>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Message: 1

> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:42:17 -0600

> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>

> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

> Message-ID: <4F7A2B49.9040903 at tnstaafl.net>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>

> I knew we had to be on the same track Brian!  I'm not the electron

> pusher you but I venture into that realm on occasion.

>

> It looks like the Dynon supplied sensor is a VDO 360-003, 0-80PSI,

> 10-180 ohms and case ground

>

> I'm going to try a VDO 360-410, 0-80PSI, 10-180ohms, with a ground lug.

> separate connections for ground and signal.

>

> Scott

>

> -------- Original Message --------

> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

> Date: 04/02/2012 03:59 PM

>

>> Oh. Actually we love the same thing.

>>

>> Yes. I agree. For any sensor you give me, it needs a minimum of two

>> wires. One for voltage reference (ground) the other for signal.

>>

>> Using the chassey for signal return is asking for trouble.

>>

>> On 4/2/2012 4:20 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>> I love grounded sensors and have used them in instrumentation for

>>> years in avionics( Space3 Shuttle, B1-B, etc..) and commercial

>>> systems. But I expect that what ever I connect the sensor to, will

>>> provide me with the sensor ground along side the data wire(amp. volt,

>>> freq., etc).

>>>

>>> I completely agree that using power ground for sensors is B.A.D.

>>>

>>> Now Dynon actually provides the ground connections on the EFIS and EMS

>>> but then provides shitty cheap ungrounded(meaning the ground path is

>>> the bus(power) ground. Then when you tell them your having problems

>>> they say your ground path from the engine to the instrument is bad.

>>>

>>> I swapped out the crappy Dynon provided ungrounded oil temp sensor

>>> which was pathetically inaccurate, with a GRT grounded(ground lug on

>>> sensor run to EMS) and now I get a smooth acurte reading unaffected by

>>> voltage or amperage changes on the power bus.

>>>

>>> VDO is the manufacturer of the fuel sensor sold by Dynon. They make a

>>> grounded sensor in the same PSI range, I need to find out if the

>>> resistance is the same across its pressure range of 80 PSI. Or install

>>> a GRT grounded sensor, but that sensor is only rated to 30 PSI and my

>>> system is capable of producing 32 PSI. I think that would be OK but???

>>>

>>> Scott

>>>

>>> -------- Original Message --------

>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>>> Date: 04/02/2012 12:49 PM

>>>

>>>> Back in my instrumentation days, the classes taught that "grounding" is

>>>> really a misnomer. There are two type of common voltage, referred to as

>>>> "ground."

>>>> The first is power grounds. This is for lights, motors, alternators and

>>>> that sort of stuff. The other type is for instrumentation. The sensor

>>>> either generates a small voltage potential, or somehow moderates a

>>>> voltage or current.

>>>>

>>>> I hate grounded sensors. They mix the power return path with my

>>>> sensitive acquisition system that I take great pains to keep noise free.

>>>> When the mfg. provides these, they contaminate all sorts of things

>>>> causing ground loops, induced voltage, and possibly injected RF noise.

>>>>

>>>> I don't consider temperature probes where the body is grounded to the

>>>> engine case for example to be a problem. In that case, the acquisition

>>>> sensor checks for a voltage drop across the temperature probe, which is

>>>> a high impedance sensor, and thus does not contaminate my sensitive

>>>> acquisition voltages. It is still a current loop and that make it

>>>> susceptible to noise because the current that went from the acquisition

>>>> system to the probe, and into the engine case has to magically find its

>>>> way back to the acquisition system somehow. The problem is that we don't

>>>> know the return path, and that's the problem.

>>>>

>>>> Okay off my sandbox. Can you put a voltmeter on the sensor? Do you get

>>>> the same results with everything turned off except the Dynon?

>>>>

>>>> On 4/2/2012 11:43 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>>>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon

>>>>> EMS.

>>>>>

>>>>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>>>>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>>>>> just to uncover the pump?

>>>>>

>>>>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>>>>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>>>>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has

>>>>> a serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>>>>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>>>>

>>>>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>>>>

>>>>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>>>>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>>>>

>>>>> Scott

>>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>>> To change your email address, visit

>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>>>

>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>>

>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>> To change your email address, visit

>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>>

>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>>

>>>

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> To change your email address, visit

>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>

>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>

>

> --

> No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

> Aesop

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 2

> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:31:04 -0400

> From: Mark Riley <the_rileys1 at verizon.net>

> To: reflector at tvbf.org

> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 85, Issue 3 interior

>             pictures

> Message-ID: <AD44B0E2-1339-416A-9E21-13E4260C8603 at verizon.net>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

>

> There are a bunch of interior pictures on my blog. Just check marksvelocity.blogspot.com

>

> Mark

> On Apr 2, 2012, at 5:54 PM, reflector-request at tvbf.org wrote:

>

>> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to

>>           reflector at tvbf.org

>>

>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit

>>           http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

>>           reflector-request at tvbf.org

>>

>> You can reach the person managing the list at

>>           reflector-owner at tvbf.org

>>

>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific

>> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."

>>

>>

>> Today's Topics:

>>

>>  1. Re:  finished interior pictures (nmflyer1 at aol.com)

>>  2.  Dynon fuel pressure (Scott Derrick)

>>  3. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Doug Kanczuzewski)

>>  4. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Brian Michalk)

>>  5. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Scott Derrick)

>>  6. Re:  Dynon fuel pressure (Brian Michalk)

>>

>>

>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 1

>> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:23:40 -0400 (EDT)

>> From: nmflyer1 at aol.com

>> To: reflector at tvbf.org

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: finished interior pictures

>> Message-ID: <8CEDF0C7AC82C04-1FF4-54B7 at webmail-d159.sysops.aol.com>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

>>

>>

>> Doug,

>>

>> I can send you some this evening when I get home... If you still need them.

>>

>> Kurt

>>

>>

>>

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com>

>> To: reflector <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Sent: Mon, Apr 2, 2012 9:14 am

>> Subject: REFLECTOR: finished interior pictures

>>

>>

>> I'm looking for some pictures of finished interiors to show my upholstery guys. I found a few on Velocity's website in the "used planes for sale" area. Can somebody point me to some more?

>>

>> Douglas Holub

>> Flying since '09, finally putting the interior in

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

>> ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>> heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>> heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>

>> -------------- next part --------------

>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

>> URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120402/e1be48b4/attachment-0001.htm>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 2

>> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:43:23 -0600

>> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> Message-ID: <4F79D72B.3030705 at tnstaafl.net>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>>

>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon EMS.

>>

>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>> just to uncover the pump?

>>

>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has a

>> serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>

>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>

>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>

>> Scott

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 3

>> Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 17:46:39 +0000

>> From: Doug Kanczuzewski <doug at customstudio.com>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> Message-ID:

>>           <1965FCEAF15F5244BE6BA2516824A98A05EFE8F2 at fnf-ex-1.saxton.net>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

>>

>> NO put I have been having the problem with mine reading 20psi consistently too low.

>>

>> Doug

>>

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick

>> Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 9:43 AM

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list

>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>>

>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon EMS.

>>

>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>> just to uncover the pump?

>>

>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has a

>> serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>

>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>

>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>

>> Scott

>> _______________________________________________

>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>

>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 4

>> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:49:21 -0500

>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> Message-ID: <4F79F4B1.4040009 at awpi.com>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>>

>> Back in my instrumentation days, the classes taught that "grounding" is

>> really a misnomer.  There are two type of common voltage, referred to as

>> "ground."

>> The first is power grounds.  This is for lights, motors, alternators and

>> that sort of stuff.  The other type is for instrumentation.  The sensor

>> either generates a small voltage potential, or somehow moderates a

>> voltage or current.

>>

>> I hate grounded sensors.  They mix the power return path with my

>> sensitive acquisition system that I take great pains to keep noise

>> free.  When the mfg. provides these, they contaminate all sorts of

>> things causing ground loops, induced voltage, and possibly injected RF

>> noise.

>>

>> I don't consider temperature probes where the body is grounded to the

>> engine case for example to be a problem.  In that case, the acquisition

>> sensor checks for a voltage drop across the temperature probe, which is

>> a high impedance sensor, and thus does not contaminate my sensitive

>> acquisition voltages.  It is still a current loop and that make it

>> susceptible to noise because the current that went from the acquisition

>> system to the probe, and into the engine case has to magically find its

>> way back to the acquisition system somehow.  The problem is that we

>> don't know the return path, and that's the problem.

>>

>> Okay off my sandbox.  Can you put a voltmeter on the sensor?  Do you get

>> the same results with everything turned off except the Dynon?

>>

>> On 4/2/2012 11:43 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon EMS.

>>>

>>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>>> just to uncover the pump?

>>>

>>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has

>>> a serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>>

>>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>>

>>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>>

>>> Scott

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> To change your email address, visit

>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>

>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 5

>> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:20:32 -0600

>> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> Message-ID: <4F7A1820.1030200 at tnstaafl.net>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>>

>> I love grounded sensors and have used them in instrumentation for years

>> in avionics( Space3 Shuttle, B1-B, etc..) and commercial systems.  But I

>> expect that what ever I connect the sensor to, will provide me with the

>> sensor ground along side the data wire(amp. volt, freq., etc).

>>

>> I completely agree that using power ground for sensors is B.A.D.

>>

>> Now Dynon actually provides the ground connections on the EFIS and EMS

>> but then provides shitty cheap ungrounded(meaning the ground path is the

>> bus(power) ground. Then when you tell them your having problems they say

>> your ground path from the engine to the instrument is bad.

>>

>> I swapped out the crappy Dynon provided ungrounded oil temp sensor which

>> was pathetically inaccurate, with a GRT grounded(ground lug on sensor

>> run to EMS) and now I get a smooth acurte reading unaffected by voltage

>> or amperage changes on the power bus.

>>

>> VDO is the manufacturer of the fuel sensor sold by Dynon.  They make a

>> grounded sensor in the same PSI range, I need to find out if the

>> resistance is the same across its pressure range of 80 PSI.   Or install

>> a GRT grounded sensor, but that sensor is only rated to 30 PSI and my

>> system is capable of producing 32 PSI.  I think that would be OK but???

>>

>> Scott

>>

>> -------- Original Message --------

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Date: 04/02/2012 12:49 PM

>>

>>> Back in my instrumentation days, the classes taught that "grounding" is

>>> really a misnomer. There are two type of common voltage, referred to as

>>> "ground."

>>> The first is power grounds. This is for lights, motors, alternators and

>>> that sort of stuff. The other type is for instrumentation. The sensor

>>> either generates a small voltage potential, or somehow moderates a

>>> voltage or current.

>>>

>>> I hate grounded sensors. They mix the power return path with my

>>> sensitive acquisition system that I take great pains to keep noise free.

>>> When the mfg. provides these, they contaminate all sorts of things

>>> causing ground loops, induced voltage, and possibly injected RF noise.

>>>

>>> I don't consider temperature probes where the body is grounded to the

>>> engine case for example to be a problem. In that case, the acquisition

>>> sensor checks for a voltage drop across the temperature probe, which is

>>> a high impedance sensor, and thus does not contaminate my sensitive

>>> acquisition voltages. It is still a current loop and that make it

>>> susceptible to noise because the current that went from the acquisition

>>> system to the probe, and into the engine case has to magically find its

>>> way back to the acquisition system somehow. The problem is that we don't

>>> know the return path, and that's the problem.

>>>

>>> Okay off my sandbox. Can you put a voltmeter on the sensor? Do you get

>>> the same results with everything turned off except the Dynon?

>>>

>>> On 4/2/2012 11:43 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon EMS.

>>>>

>>>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>>>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>>>> just to uncover the pump?

>>>>

>>>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>>>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>>>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has

>>>> a serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>>>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>>>

>>>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>>>

>>>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>>>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>>>

>>>> Scott

>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>> To change your email address, visit

>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>>

>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>

>>> _______________________________________________

>>> To change your email address, visit

>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>

>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>

>>

>> --

>> When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so

>> long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened

>> for us.

>> Helen Keller

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> Message: 6

>> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:59:38 -0500

>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>> Message-ID: <4F7A214A.5010200 at awpi.com>

>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>>

>> Oh.  Actually we love the same thing.

>>

>> Yes.  I agree.  For any sensor you give me, it needs a minimum of two

>> wires.  One for voltage reference (ground) the other for signal.

>>

>> Using the chassey for signal return is asking for trouble.

>>

>> On 4/2/2012 4:20 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>> I love grounded sensors and have used them in instrumentation for

>>> years in avionics( Space3 Shuttle, B1-B, etc..) and commercial

>>> systems.  But I expect that what ever I connect the sensor to, will

>>> provide me with the sensor ground along side the data wire(amp. volt,

>>> freq., etc).

>>>

>>> I completely agree that using power ground for sensors is B.A.D.

>>>

>>> Now Dynon actually provides the ground connections on the EFIS and EMS

>>> but then provides shitty cheap ungrounded(meaning the ground path is

>>> the bus(power) ground. Then when you tell them your having problems

>>> they say your ground path from the engine to the instrument is bad.

>>>

>>> I swapped out the crappy Dynon provided ungrounded oil temp sensor

>>> which was pathetically inaccurate, with a GRT grounded(ground lug on

>>> sensor run to EMS) and now I get a smooth acurte reading unaffected by

>>> voltage or amperage changes on the power bus.

>>>

>>> VDO is the manufacturer of the fuel sensor sold by Dynon.  They make a

>>> grounded sensor in the same PSI range, I need to find out if the

>>> resistance is the same across its pressure range of 80 PSI.   Or

>>> install a GRT grounded sensor, but that sensor is only rated to 30 PSI

>>> and my system is capable of producing 32 PSI.  I think that would be

>>> OK but???

>>>

>>> Scott

>>>

>>> -------- Original Message --------

>>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

>>> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

>>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

>>> Date: 04/02/2012 12:49 PM

>>>

>>>> Back in my instrumentation days, the classes taught that "grounding" is

>>>> really a misnomer. There are two type of common voltage, referred to as

>>>> "ground."

>>>> The first is power grounds. This is for lights, motors, alternators and

>>>> that sort of stuff. The other type is for instrumentation. The sensor

>>>> either generates a small voltage potential, or somehow moderates a

>>>> voltage or current.

>>>>

>>>> I hate grounded sensors. They mix the power return path with my

>>>> sensitive acquisition system that I take great pains to keep noise free.

>>>> When the mfg. provides these, they contaminate all sorts of things

>>>> causing ground loops, induced voltage, and possibly injected RF noise.

>>>>

>>>> I don't consider temperature probes where the body is grounded to the

>>>> engine case for example to be a problem. In that case, the acquisition

>>>> sensor checks for a voltage drop across the temperature probe, which is

>>>> a high impedance sensor, and thus does not contaminate my sensitive

>>>> acquisition voltages. It is still a current loop and that make it

>>>> susceptible to noise because the current that went from the acquisition

>>>> system to the probe, and into the engine case has to magically find its

>>>> way back to the acquisition system somehow. The problem is that we don't

>>>> know the return path, and that's the problem.

>>>>

>>>> Okay off my sandbox. Can you put a voltmeter on the sensor? Do you get

>>>> the same results with everything turned off except the Dynon?

>>>>

>>>> On 4/2/2012 11:43 AM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>>>>> I'm having an issue of a false high fuel pressure readingon my Dynon

>>>>> EMS.

>>>>>

>>>>> I came within minutes of removing the fuel pump to see if the high

>>>>> pressure reg was dirty or the recirc outlet was clogged. A 5 hour job

>>>>> just to uncover the pump?

>>>>>

>>>>> I happened to be testing the installation of a replacement capacitive

>>>>> fuel probe and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 10 psi and the

>>>>> engine was off! I played around with re-grounding the sensor(Dynon has

>>>>> a serious Achilles heal because they use ungrounded sensors) to see if

>>>>> that would alleviate it but no joy.

>>>>>

>>>>> Anybody else have this issue?

>>>>>

>>>>> I'm thinking of switching to a GRT sensor as they are 1/2 to 1/4 the

>>>>> price of Dynon's and most are grounded.

>>>>>

>>>>> Scott

>>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>>> To change your email address, visit

>>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>>>

>>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>>

>>>> _______________________________________________

>>>> To change your email address, visit

>>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

>>>>

>>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery

>>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

>>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

>>>>

>>>

>>

>>

>>

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> _______________________________________________

>> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

>>

>> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 85, Issue 3

>> ****************************************

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> Message: 3

> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 21:52:36 -0500

> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>

> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>

> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Dynon fuel pressure

> Message-ID: <4F7A65F4.4080503 at awpi.com>

> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

>

> Yes, VDO makes I thought all of their sensors in ungrounded and grounded

> versions.  I have a few of them on the plane for oil pressure and fuel

> pressure, which for me is 45PSI.

>

> None of mine are hard mounted to the engine.  I've heard that the

> vibration can cause them to fail at the neck.  The orifice is a few

> thousandths in diameter, really small, so if it does break off it won't

> flow very much.

>

> On 04/02/2012 05:42 PM, Scott Derrick wrote:

>> I knew we had to be on the same track Brian!  I'm not the electron

>> pusher you but I venture into that realm on occasion.

>>

>> It looks like the Dynon supplied sensor is a VDO 360-003, 0-80PSI,

>> 10-180 ohms and case ground

>>

>> I'm going to try a VDO 360-410, 0-80PSI, 10-180ohms, with a ground

>> lug. separate connections for ground and signal.

>>

>> Scott

>

>

>

> ------------------------------

>

> _______________________________________________

> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

>

> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 85, Issue 4

> ****************************************



_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector



Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120404/65efe25a/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image001.png
Type: image/png
Size: 264349 bytes
Desc: image001.png
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20120404/65efe25a/attachment-0001.png>


More information about the Reflector mailing list