REFLECTOR: Obtaining Repairmans Certificate - Static RPM

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Apr 3 09:20:22 CDT 2012


What I tried to say was a toggle, of any sort.  Because of your 
concerns/problems with excessive rpm, in conjunction with the fact that 
you are working on a governor, caused me to wonder whether you were 
temporarily operating FP with no toggle switch.  Do you have a warning 
alarm for rpm?  Mine was most helpful in the beginning until I got used 
to the process of keeping the rpm under control.

John

On 4/2/2012 9:54 PM, Brian Michalk wrote:
> Is there a standard toggle?  I ended up going with a contoured toggle 
> switch that is internally illuminated so I can read it at night.
>
> On 04/01/2012 10:11 PM, John Dibble wrote:
>> Yeah, that clears up a lot.  I was concerned that you were planning 
>> to fly with 2 blades.  Glad that's not the case.  Have you installed 
>> the standard toggle switch that varies prop pitch?
>>
>> John
>>
>> On 3/30/2012 10:15 AM, Brian Michalk wrote:
>>> Ah, I think I understand your confusion.
>>>
>>> I reconfigured to two blades, three washers a few months ago just 
>>> for static ground testing, and was able to get to about 2500RPM.  
>>> Last weekend I switched to one washer.  With that, I could get 2750, 
>>> occasionally surging to 2800 because of the turbo.  I'm planning to 
>>> reconfigure back to three blades, three washers this weekend and do 
>>> my weight and balance.
>>>
>>> I learned a few things with my high power ground testing last week.  
>>> Seeing the behavior in static tests with the two bladed prop, I now 
>>> know that I was boosting on the first flight, which was three 
>>> washers, three blades.  The wastegate was wide open, but it still 
>>> presents a restriction causing the turbo to make just a little bit 
>>> of boost.
>>>
>>> Regardless, I think Deeter, who runs the same configuration as me 
>>> can also redline his RPM after takeoff if he doesn't dial in more 
>>> pitch.
>>>
>>> Man, that first flight three years ago was a kick in the pants.  
>>> I've never piloted an airplane that climbed (almost) to pattern 
>>> altitude before leaving the airport boundary.
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list