REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip
Rene Dugas
dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 26 12:39:59 CDT 2011
Kevin,
I like to slip down to 500 ft or so if I’m a little fast or high then release the rudder and crab in with a twitch of rudder just before touch down.
It seems stabilized after a few practices. It sounds like a lot but it’s not. I land on many 3000 ft runways over trees. I do not like to be in a slip as I dive for the runway from 50 ft. I also slip on downwind if I come in fast in a descent to get to gear speed. (XL RG no speed brake)
Your mileage WILL vary.
Rene’
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Baker
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 10:36 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Cc: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list; Brett Ferrell
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip
Thanks John
Appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.
Sounds like crabbing is the way for me.
:-)
Kevin Baker
.
On Sep 26, 2011, at 10:21, "John Abraham" <John at velocityaircraft.com> wrote:
The aircraft can be slipped. However; I always tell people when they come in for training that it is something that they need to feel comfortable with the aircraft before doing it and the aircraft must have proper control throws. A slip in this aircraft is like the initial hill on a roller coaster (aircraft has a slight nose down). Unlike a tractor pull aircraft, you can’t let your speed lower too much because you begin to lose aileron effectiveness. You need to start the slip with the airspeed indicator pegged on 90kts. This allows the ailerons to fight the rudders. However the rudders will win out if you lock-out the controls full. While the ailerons will be at full deflection, you will have to work the rudder in and out a bit to keep from rolling too far. Done properly you can lose as much as 2000fpm.
Next time I am up flying I will see if I can have someone video tape what the controls are doing during a slip.
Like I said though, you need to be comfortable with the aircraft first before trying to slip it. Otherwise you will end up trying to land too fast or drifting way off the centerline.
Safe flying,
John
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Brett Ferrell
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 10:49 AM
To: reflector
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip
I don't think the factory really recommends slipping, but Scott Swing slipped our airplane when he flew it. I posted the cockpit video here <http://www.velocityxl.com/media.php?do=details&mid=67> . I may have the same footage from the ground, if I do I'll post it later.
Brett
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Kevin Baker
> Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:02 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip
>
> Hi All,
> What are your x-wind landing techniques?
> Crab vs Slip?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Baker
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110926/d67f8058/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list