REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Sep 24 22:40:24 CDT 2011


I slip or crab depending on how much cross wind.  The only problem I know of when slipping a V to land Is if your agressivly slipping you might drag the up wind wing tip because they are swept wings.  If the wind is 15 knots or less I slip.  I think its easier on the plane.  Greater than 15 I crab and jab.  Basically crab until rotation, then jab the rudder to somewhat straighten things out before touching down.  You have to time it well. if you float at all you'll start to drift across the runwy.

I have landed in a 35 knot crosswind in a full crab with no problem.  The plane will strzighten out as soon as both mains are on the ground.  Its pretty weird pointed 20-25 degrees offset from the runway!

Scott

Alex Balic <velocity_pilot at verizon.net> wrote:

>Hi Kevin.
>You Know, lots of folks say that you can "not" slip a canard- I have not
>done so in a Velocity, but I slipped the heck out of the long EZ I had
>several years back to get it down and slow- guess you just need to work on
>the technique- feels different from a 172 for sure. The one advantage is
>that both rudders can be deployed on the non- toe brake models to assist in
>speed control- to just correct for only a crosswind on landing, I would just
>crab, it will point directly into the direction of travel when both mains
>touch down- and I do mean both, if you land on just the upwind (trailing)
>wheel, it will tend to go off in the direction that the nose is pointed.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Kevin Baker
>Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:02 PM
>To: reflector at tvbf.org
>Subject: REFLECTOR: X-wind Landings - Technique Crab vs Slip
>
>Hi All,
>What are your x-wind landing techniques?
>Crab vs Slip?
>
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin Baker
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list