REFLECTOR: Ethanol in the fuel

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 12 00:23:35 CDT 2011


The controversery continues about the posible adverse effects to the fuel 
system of  Ethanol contaminated fuel.  I learned today what it does to a 
Capacitance  Fuel Gauge.  I had the choice of (auto) fuel with Ethanol or no 
fuel.  I normally burn auto fuel (Lyc IO-360) but the state I was in had a 
Ethanol mandate for all auto fuel.  The engine ran ok and temperatures 
seemed normal but my Capacitance Fuel Gauge reads way too high.  I suspect 
that the contaminated fuel was slightly electrically conductive whereas 
100LL or clean auto fuel is not.
Rather than drain the remaining fuel (I am home now) I'll probably just fly 
it as-is until near dry, fill with my normal 91 octane and just drain the 
fuel sensor (mine is external).

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ




More information about the Reflector mailing list