REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging 2

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Fri Sep 9 20:51:59 CDT 2011


Thank you everybody for the assistance- I have re-rigged the approach angles for the cables to the wing control horns to 90 degrees from the original 105, but that just made the up and down equal, I still only have about 4” total throw on both ailerons- about  2 up and 2 down- I am thinking that possibly my stick is hitting the keel prematurely ( keel hole us under-sized) would it be possible for anyone who has proper travel to measure the distance from the side of the stick tube to the edge of the hole?   The hole looks plenty large, but maybe it just is not-  otherwise, I will resort to Kurt’s plan “B” and decrease the distance of the mounting holes at the aileron control horns.

 

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 7:08 PM
To: VelocityXL at fastmail.fm; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fwd: Aileron Rigging

 

I could not get any where near what was recommended for travel. My Dad came by and I picked his engineer brain to see why I was apparently losing my mind. Only took him a few minutes to find out that, with what was supplied from Velocity, and the instructions, it was impossible to get the recommended travel.  

 

It was discovered that the only way to get the recommended travel would be to get new cables with more travel, or change the arm on the aileron bell cranks.  I opted for "B" (changing the hole location on the bell crank). 

 

I now get 2.5" up and 2.4375" down on both sides. 

 

I too had to change my aileron cable approach angle to 90% from what  was in my book. I ended up drilling a second attach hole 90_degrees to the first one (watching proper hole spacing). 

 

Works like a champ now!

 

Kurt 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Velocity <VelocityXL at fastmail.fm>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tue, Sep 6, 2011 11:45 am
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fwd: Aileron Rigging

Interesting the manual now says 90 Deg angle from the cable to the arm  I know my manual did not say that . Next time I 

am at my hanger I will have to look at the manual  I am sure it was 110 deg. Of something close to that.

 

Per the manual  When the stick is

fully deflected, you should get at least 2-3/8" of deflection at the inboard trailing

edge of the ailerons, both up and down. A properly rigged system will get approximately

2-1/2” of both up and down travel.

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Lawrence <mailto:ljepstein at hotmail.com>  Epstein 

To: Velocity <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Aircraft Owners andBuilders list 

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 4:00 PM

Subject: REFLECTOR: Fwd: Aileron Rigging

 

 

 

I thought that it was better to have asymmetric displacement, i.e. More down aileron than up (equal side to side) in order to minimize adverse yaw?

Larry Epstein 
173 FGE

On Sep 6, 2011, at 5:23 PM, "Velocity" <VelocityXL at fastmail.fm> wrote:




I had the same problem worked on it for what seemed like forever. My problem was the push pull cable angle.

It has to be 90 degrees to the arm.   The manual gave some angle of 110 I think that did not work for me  at all.

Once I got it to 90 both up and down were equal. Worked for me   good luck

 

Ron

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Balic" <velocity_pilot at verizon.net>

To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>

Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:55 AM

Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron Rigging

 

 

For all those that have been here and solved this fun Geometry puzzle:

 

I have just been around to checking my flight control throws, since

hopefully they will be put to actual use soon, and my ailerons are a bit out

of adjustment-

Symptom: Both ailerons have 4" of throw (as measured at the inboard end) but

the right one has "normal" movement with 2-1/2" inches down, and 1-1/2

inches up. But the left side is exactly the opposite, with more throw up

than down.

 

1) both ailerons are exactly neutral with stick neutral.

2) both aileron  control arms are at the same angle with respect to the

wing/aluminum brackets when neutral.

3) stick throw seems to be identical right and left, but I don't think that

any slight difference in this would cause this particular problem.

 

 

The only thing I can think of is that the horn on the keel end of the

aileron torque tube is not exactly aligned with the stick,- I was not able

to directly measure this yesterday since there is a lot of stuff back there.

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thanks

Alex

 

_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 

_______________________________________________

To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

 

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery

user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose

Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail

Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

 


  _____  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
  _____  


No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1796 / Virus Database: 2082/4487 - Release Date: 09/09/11

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110909/eb2e306c/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list