REFLECTOR: Violent Shimmy Cause = Light Gun Oil Lubrication
Dennis Martin
dennis.doc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:30:35 CDT 2011
Spacers on the axle are also critical. My FG nose gear had almost 1/2 inch
gap using the factory supplied spacers. I added a thick washer on each side
and eliminated the gap. True story: A friend flew in from SLC with his V and
had a flat. He asked if I would loan him my whole nose gear assembly. Just
before takeoff, I asked him about the 1/2 inch gap - he said, "No worries."
He called me back and said "I almost lost my teeth it was shaking so bad.
Never again."
Tighten up the gap.
Dennis
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM, Brett Ferrell <reflector at velocityxl.com>wrote:
> I would definitely use the grease, but we've been flying the nylon nut
> solution for awhile and really like it. It keeps a relatively usable
> break-out force but still has enough friction to damp out shimmy. We think
> the airplane stays very steerable with this setup.
> http://www.velocityxl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nylon_Belleville_Anti-Shimmy
>
> Brett
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
--
All the best,
Dennis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110906/52308baa/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list