REFLECTOR: IFR Flight
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Thu Oct 27 21:03:50 CDT 2011
How did your IVO prop do with the rain? Did the rain damage the leading
edge?
On 10/27/2011 04:34 PM, aminetech at bluefrog.com wrote:
> Today I did my first real IFR flight direct from McPherson, KS to
> Ocean Springs, MS. There was VFR weather at both ends and IFR in the
> middle. I learned a few things. In the clouds my speed decreased by
> 5 kn. Is this typical? My IVO prop performed flawlessly and helped a
> lot with the speed variations. I replaced the motor brush torsion
> springs with stronger ones and that seems to keep the motor working,
> so far. In rain the plane pitched up and down a lot. In moderate to
> heavy rain the A/P couldn't maintain altitude within 100 feet and I
> had to assist it. The rain showers lasted only 10-15 min, each. I
> was happy about that as I didn't want to have to fight it for an
> hour. Also, water dripped on my feet during the heavy rain. I'll
> have to seal the canard joints somehow. The OAT and carb temps were
> both 6 C initially and gradually increased to 11 C as I progressed
> farther south. I was wondering about carb icing, but it was raining,
> so I figured I was ok. My MAP began at 20.5", and slowly decreased
> over 1 1/2 hours. When it go to 19", I knew something was wrong
> because I've never seen it that low at 9000'. So I applied carb heat
> and the MAP immediately dropped 1/2". Then it slowly increased for
> several seconds. Then the engine stumbled for 1/2 sec and then the
> MAP jumped to 21". So there was some ice there. Now I know that
> water freezes at 11 C in OK and AR. My understanding is that you
> can't fly IFR through MOAs, yet I went through 2. The last hour I was
> out of the rain and could have climbed and went VFR, but I decided to
> continue going in and out of cloud tops for experience. It was quite
> bumpy and next time I'll climb and go VFR.
> I met a guy at the McPherson airport who knows someone who just bought
> a Velocity with a rotary engine. Is that your's, Al?
> John
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111027/7ec0886e/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list