REFLECTOR: Sand Blaster

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 19:33:22 CDT 2011


John. 

Honestly, I really have never "needed" to clean the plugs after I switched to fine wire. Like I said, I do it since I take them out anyway at annual. 
Originally, I had 15 year old cylinders with over 1500 hours on them, so I burned a little oil. Also, the old Cherokee 235 compression really didn't need 100LL fuel. I built my own fuel hauler and found a place with "clean" MoGas. That took care of some of the problem. Then I found a special where they would sell you a complete set of fine wire plugs for the cost of fat ones. I snatched that up right away. About a year later I finally changed out the cylinders. That was about 2.5 years ago, and I have not had a lick of problems since. I guess I have had the fine wires in for about 4 years now. I'm sold (well... at least with a good sales price!).

Kurt 



-----Original Message-----
From: aminetech <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sat, Oct 15, 2011 4:36 pm
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Sand Blaster



Thanks Larry and Kurt.
 
If I was still using the massive electrode plugs, I may have considered the expensive tester, but with fine wire, I think cleaning is all I should need, so the cheap one wins.
Kurt, have you had any misfiring with the fine wire due to a need for cleaning?  I have, but it may be because my plugs are recessed and very cool.  I did this while dealing with detonation issues which later turned out to be a timing problem.  Now that that's fixed, I could probably use a hotter plug, but at $35 per plug, I'll probably keep what I have and clean when needed.
 
John

--- nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:

From: nmflyer1 at aol.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Sand Blaster
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 17:32:35 -0400 (EDT)


John, 
 
IF you really need it mostly for spark plugs, try this:    http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner-32860.html
 
 
I have one of those, mounted it to the leg on my workbench. Works like a charm. Since I changed to FineWire plugs on the Cherokee, I only clean the plugs once a year (mostly since I have them out). Before that, I'd use it a few times a year. 
 
I also have one of those portable gun & hopper types like this:  http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
 
 
It works OK. Use it mostly for cleaning larger rusty things. The up side, Cheap and easy to use. The down side, makes a mess and you lose your abrasive (less so if you make a plastic backdrop & floor, then pour it back in. 
 
My neighbor has one of these types:  
http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-93608.html
 
Or you can use the tabletop version:  http://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html
 
Pro's:  handy, clean, effective for smaller parts. Cons, Take up space, and size limited on parts. 
 
Hope that helps. 
 
  Kurt 


 
-----Original Message-----
From: aminetech <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sat, Oct 15, 2011 12:36 pm
Subject: REFLECTOR: Sand Blaster



I want to get a sand blaster which I will use mostly for cleaning spark plugs.  I'm debating whether to get just the gun (cheaper) or the cabinet.  Any recommendations?
 
John


_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________ To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
o change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
ser:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
heck new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
heck old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111015/6d8cc00f/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list