REFLECTOR: Oil Separator
Robert Wood
slvegl99 at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 13:48:06 CDT 2011
I had oil coming out of the breather on my IO540. Not enough to be concerned about so far as oil use is concerned, but enough to oil the outside. I made and installed an oil separator with a capacity of about a pint, a couple of screens and a return line to the engine. This line had a check valve in it so fumes go out the breather pipe. Oil returns to crankcase when the engine is shut down. I am very pleased with the result. No more oil on cowling.
Bob Wood
On Oct 13, 2011, at 11:18 AM, "Douglas Holub" <douglas.holub at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good idea. I think I'll remove mine, too. In 130 hrs of flying I think it seperated about 2 ounces of oil.
>
> Doug Holub
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Scott Derrick
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:42 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Separator
>
> Ruben,
>
> I have an Andair separator and I don;t think it's doing much either. And it is not a cheap(inexpensive) one. I always have a streak of oil from my breather pipe leading back to the prop. I think I will remove it as its just a bit more weight and taking up space.
>
> I am going to extend the breather pipe a little further out to see if that will reduce the oil streak.
>
> I'm also toying with the idea of welding a 1/2 stub onto the right hand exhaust stack and plumbing the breather line onto that. Thus burning up or at least throwing the oil further away from the plane as it exits it. The stub has to be be positioned so the exhaust produces a low pressure on it and sucks the air out not pressurize it!
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Oil Separator
> From: Ruben Creus <ruben at vainneg.com>
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Date: 10/12/2011 11:45 PM
>> Hi all,
>> I have installed and oil separator in my breather and honestly it is not separating much at all. I used a very low cost one, and I was thinking on maybe buying something better to try, but it is really hard to find specs to make a conscious decision.
>> Do any of you have any experience with oil separators?
>>
>> Ruben G. Creus
>> Ë +1.571.215.0025
>> * rcreus at vainneg.com
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> --
> Eighty percent of success is showing up.
> Woody Allen
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111013/7ad8ec15/attachment.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list