REFLECTOR: Trim
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Oct 3 09:19:32 CDT 2011
your plane will be faster if you are rigged correctly and in trim.
Scott
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Trim
From: Douglas Holub <douglas.holub at gmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Date: 10/02/2011 07:52 PM
> Just for a frame of reference, for first flight I had one .065" washer
> on each of the two top right wing attach bolts because that is what it
> took to get the incidence gauge level. After I started flying I think
> the yaw was off by more than half a ball and it wanted to roll. I
> removed the washers and the ball still wasn't centered, so then I put
> one of the washers on the top inside left wing attach bolt. After that
> the ball was almost centered-- it was between the lines but closer to
> one line than the other. I added another washer to the left wing but
> then the cowl wouldn't fit right anymore, so I removed it and now fly
> with a slight yaw. I suppose I should trim the rudder to get it perfect.
> Would I save a little gas if I did?
>
> The shims did change the interface at the strake-wing leading edge, but
> that didn't matter on my plane. When I originally installed the strakes
> the leading edges didn't match up with the wings by about 3/4". I could
> have glassed it all in to match, but instead I installed "cosmetic
> vortillons" in the seam between the strake and the wing leading edges.
> Because there's a wall between the leading edges you don't notice that
> they don't line up unless you're looking for it. I am so glad I didn't
> go to all the trouble of glassing them up perfectly because I would have
> had to do it all over again after I re-shimmed the wings. (pictures
> attached.)
>
> Doug Holub
> Standard FG
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Izzy Brownfield" <iznstacy at yahoo.com>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 7:21 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Trim
>
>
>> I shimmed the right wing lower bolt with one thin washer approx .025 in.
>> Flew airplane and really could not tell a difference it may have
>> helped a bit but not what I expected. Still required left rudder and
>> right aileron to center the ball. Wing to strake mismatch at the
>> leading edge was quite a bit.
>> I removed the shim and now I'm going to shim the the left rudder out
>> and see what that does.
>> Izzy
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan
More information about the Reflector
mailing list