REFLECTOR: XL FG Hi Temps/ Siezed Aileron Cable
Mark Magee
edjonesbrady at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:26:25 CST 2011
John,
Thanks, I will review all. I saw John Youngblood's XLRG in Livermore w/the
3 downpipes and didn't remember the slot, but it makes sense: except I
would think the slot edges would need to be reinforced.
Thanks for all.
Mark
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM, John Tvedte <johnt at comp-sol.com> wrote:
> Mark,****
>
> ** **
>
> You’ll end up with a slot in the bottom of the cowl rather than 3 openings
> – using the factory solution. Looking at Custom Aircraft’s solution – it
> may not be obvious – but the pipe sizing is enlarged for the bottom pipe
> section – which the other two pipes feed into. ****
>
> ** **
>
> If I remember correctly those pictures are of Pat Shay ‘s velocity – which
> is a very nice flying example of a Velocity. I have more pictures of his
> engine installation if you are interested.****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m with Ruben on the oil cooling issue – Vernatherm – need to also check
> the case for uniform seating.****
>
> ** **
>
> On the pinhole potential – I would suggest you examine closely the EGT
> sensors – and location of the holes for these relative to the aileron
> cable(s) , any cracked welds and even signs of leakage around the exhaust
> gasket.****
>
> ** **
>
> John****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Mark Magee
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:14 AM
> *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: XL FG Hi Temps/ Siezed Aileron Cable****
>
> ** **
>
> Scott,****
>
> I really like that exhaust header. Do you believe it is as efficient as 3
> straight pipes? The thing I like about the 3 straight pipes is possible
> cooling benefits from efficient extraction and the three holes per side on
> the bottom cowl could evacuate some additional cooling in the downflow from
> the engine baffling. Any thoughts?
>
> Mark B. Magee****
>
> Sent from IPhone ****
>
>
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:****
>
> Mark,
>
> Custom Aircraft might be the best exhaust fabricators in the business.
>
> http://www.customaircraft.com
>
> Here is a picture of what my exhaust looks like. This is of a Lycoming
> and mines a Continental but looks very similar.
>
> http://www.customaircraft.com/images/33912A.JPG
>
> Scott
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: XL FG Hi Temps/ Siezed Aileron Cable
> From: Mark Magee <edjonesbrady at gmail.com> <edjonesbrady at gmail.com>
> To: sbjknox <sbjknox at earthlink.net> <sbjknox at earthlink.net>, Velocity
> Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org><reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 11/10/2011 05:46 AM
>
> ****
>
> Sid,
> Your pic labeled "Burned Cable" looks eerily like my first seized cable
> and the damage it had. I believe I need to begin confirming a pin-hole leak
> in the stbd side exhaust manifold. I wonder if this is not a good time to
> consider going to 3 straight down pipes per side? Certainly the straight
> down pipes have far fewer welds. No?
>
> Mark****
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM, sbjknox <sbjknox at earthlink.net> wrote:***
> *
>
> From: "Scott Derrick" ****
>
>
>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: XL FG Hi Temps/ Siezed Aileron Cable
>
> ****
>
> Shielding of the exhaust manifold is recommended where the aileron cables
> come in close proximity to the exhaust stack.****
>
> ** **
>
> In the past I have had two experiences with siezed aileron cable. The
> first was from a broken exhaust pipe that sprayed hot gas on the cable
> (also melted aileron servo housing).
> The pipe broke at the point of 'strengthened weld' in the photo "Exhaust
> mod.jpg". The original pipe was designed by monkeys as that long sweeping
> curved portion was un-braced and just waiting to vibrate and break... which
> it did.
> Couldn't move the ailerons but with rudders and little wind, landing was
> non-event.
>
> I modded the pipe to have a 'vibration damper' (see photo) and added a
> second safety cable.
> I also added a SS heat shield on both sides.
>
> The second time was from a gas-fed engine fire during climb-out. I had no
> clue something bad was happening back there until the engine started
> missing, I called the tower and turned back not much concerned at that
> point because I knew I could make the field but when the ailerons started
> getting stiff I knew I had a fire and the pucker-factor jumped an order of
> magnitude! I made it back with no further problem other than a very rough
> engine from the burned ignition wires (see photo "Burn Damage.jpg"). The
> fire was out by then and the ailerons were locked solid.
>
> Originally there was no fire sleeve on the cables but of course there is
> now!
> And a "sniffle valve" (spelling?) was installed. Had one been installed
> before, that fire would not have happened.
>
> Sid Knox
> Oklahoma
>
> Velocity 173 RG N199RS
> Starduster N666SK
> KR2 N24TC
> W7QJQ
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html***
> *
>
>
>
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> _______________________________________________****
>
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector****
>
> ** **
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery****
>
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose****
>
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail****
>
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html****
>
>
>
> ****
>
> -- ****
>
> While I see many hoof marks going in, I see none coming out. It is easier to get into the enemy's toils than out again.****
>
> Aesop****
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html***
> *
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20111110/fef25296/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list